Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
New guy here. The escape belongs to the wife. I'm the guy that gets to take care of it.

We have 115,000 miles on this gem and we love it to death. Yesterday she was driving home from work and the 4x4 light started flashing intermittently.

I called the local Ford dealer and asked one of the service advisors what usually cases this. He said that he didn't know, that they have never had a truck in their shop for this issue. If he had to guess, one of the tires may be a different circumference due to uneven wear and that makes the trans think it needs to engage FWD. I'm not sure about this statement..

Today she was pulling out onto a wet street (I was in the passenger seat) and the front wheels broke traction for the first time since we have had it. This leads me to believe the AWD is not engaged.

Anyone out there have any experience with this issue? What am I up against to get it repaired?

Thanks in advance,

Tim
Electric Blue
05 XLT Sport AWD

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Just my best guess.

A flashing light for anything, is an attention needed indicator. Your service writer should know that. As for what is up, I dunno. Could be a sensor is malfunctioning, a tranny issue. Whatever. I would have them check into it. It sounds like your down to front wheel drive only right now.

Just some random thoughts: Do you live in snow country, or maybe do some off roading? Is there snow packed up around the sensor on the wheels? Check out the wiring. Have any of the wires been comprimised? What about the wire casing? Do you have a blown fuse?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wife babies her escape for the most part. So this car has never seen off road. She says that's what our F350 PS for. We live in the Seattle area and have only seen snow a few times in the 5 years we have owned it.

Not sure where to look for wheel sensors but I will inspect for buildup around the wheels. I will also look to see if there is a fuse that may have blown.

Thanks for responding,

Tim

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I did some online searches for you. So far, nothing has turned up as being reported by others looking for an answer to a similar problem. A couple of Explorer dudes had similar issues, and the suggestion was made like what I just passed on to you. Probably you need to take it in to a reliable shop if you don't turn something up. It's supposed to be a foolproof system. :shrug:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did that search too. I spent several hours weeding through the web and that's how I found this forum.

I appreciate the effort. I was hoping to see if anyone else had a similar experience. I hate going to the dealer, every time I bring it in there, I can't seem to walk out without dropping several hundred $$'s. They told me almost $400.00 for just changing the plugs.

Tim

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Are you on the Seattle side or the Kitsap side of the sound. I have found a great mechanic in Poulsbo that I trust and he's been great doing all the work on on my "E" If your on the Kitsap side PM me and I'll shoot you his info..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm actually in Puyallup but not too many people know how to say it or comprehend the name, so I just say I'm in the Seattle area. I may just take it to ford down the street. I checked fuses and gave it a visual but physically it looks pretty good underneath. This car is not beat, my wife prefers that I don't drive it. I have my powerstroke.

One thing I did notice is that it will flash 10 flashes then pause. Exactly one minute later it will start again. It has got to be a code of a sort that gives a clue to a starting point.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought a 72 hour subscription from Helm (the guys that write fords manuals) and after allot of digging, I found that my active torque module is not being commanded to kick in. There is a way to clear the codes and test which circuit isn't sending the command but it takes a diagnostic tool that plugs into the OBD2 port and costs around $3500.00. About the size of the OBD2 hand held and too freek'n expensive. I will do the pin to pin checks outlined in the checks this weekend. I want to educate myself and attempt to avoid some diagnostic fees when taking it into the dealership.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.