Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '07 Escape 2.3L which uses around 1 ro 1.5 quarts of oil per 500 to 600 miles. Exhaust pipe is sooty with oil deposits as one would expect with a vehicle burning oil.

What confuses me is how clean the plugs are and no fouling. Is this typical with the "newer" engines like the 2.3L?

There isn't any oil leakage on the outside of the engine that I can find. There is a small leak which has developed in the valve cover gasket into 2 of the 4 spark plug ports. It is minimal from what I can tell with just a light coating on the socket and not a deep pool of oil in the spark plug area.

Attached a pic of the plugs so you can see what I am asking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked that your PCV valve is not gooed up? It is supposed to feed crankcase gases to the intake manifold, and if it is dysfunctional it can feed oil in addition to the gases. Reports of failed PCV valves in the same vintage 3.0 V6 engines causing the engine to eat all the oil between fills of the fuel tank have been seen online.
Would not hurt to check the valve, or replace it as they are a 'wear item'.
One check is to disconnect the filtered air line from the snorkel feeding the engine intake that connects to the cam cover. Engine at idle, you can block the air inlet to the crankcase and after a short while should feel a light vacuum indicating the PCV is functioning and venting(at a slow rate) gases from the crankcase to the intake to be burned. If no vacuum or actual pressure, then the system is not working as desired/designed, and should be checked further.
tom
Yeah, the PCV and hose were the first things I replaced. Apologies for not giving the entire history.

I have also done the vacuum test as you described in the past and it does pull a vacuum..

I think we have had this discussion before months ago about the PCV and other possible issues. I was just more curious this time about how clean the plugs are if that much oil is being burned.

I did get a suggestion from another forum about maybe the exhaust valve seals are shot as when an oil change is completed, in less than 100 miles or so, the oil is already black and smells like raw exhaust.

I am just having a hard time going with others suggestion to get rid of the vehicle. It doesn't have the typical rear frame and shock tower rut like so many do and overall the vehicle is in excellent condition, minus the oil burning and the headliner covering failing. It has been paid off for a long time, I only paid like $500 for it. It is just the hassle of have to keep such a close eye on the oil and keep it topped off..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts