Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been covered before....I have an 07' Escape with approx 74,000 kms (40,000 mi). Is there a relatively simple & inexpensive way to diagnose & get rid of squeaking from the rear hatch area over bumps or uneven pavem't? Thanks in advance for any input....Matt :confused:

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
This may or may not be your problem but certainly worth reading just in case. :)

http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=159

Good luck! :)

1X4WDEscape said:
Mine made a loud chirp when driving over large bumps. I spent time pulling things out of the back and lubing things and it still made noise. Finally I laid in the cargo area and bounced up and down till the noise revealed itself. It was coming from the left shock tower where it mounts to the wheelwell. Part of the rubber bushing was missing allowing metal to metal contact. I replaced the bushing and added an extra collar around the shock stem; problem solved.
Months later I found a Ford TSB on line addressing this very problem.
Above quote taken from this thread... http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5274

·
Registered
37 Posts
if that doesnt help try putting a piece of electrical tape on the rear latch of the rear hatch. On the ford explorers they have a felt like tape on the latch but for some reason the escapes dont have one. With the tape in place it helps cushion the hatch from rubbing on the metal of the latch stopping any squeaks. I hope this will help.

·
Registered
102 Posts
jtugfestiva said:
if that doesnt help try putting a piece of electrical tape on the rear latch of the rear hatch. On the ford explorers they have a felt like tape on the latch but for some reason the escapes dont have one. With the tape in place it helps cushion the hatch from rubbing on the metal of the latch stopping any squeaks. I hope this will help.
Please take a pic and post it here! TIA :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did you ever solve this problem?

My 07 squeaks in the back when I go over small bumps and it drives me nuts. It doesn't sound like it's the struts, I think it must be the hatch. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you a thousand times, finally a solution to that annoying creaking sound.

3 wraps of painter's tape cured it immediately.

There is probably a better long term solution but finally peace and quiet.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Another alternative to close up the clearance between pin and latch is to cut a strip of milk carton plastic that will fit onto the pin, wrap it around the pin, and tape or glue in place. The layer of plastic takes up some of the space so the latch cannot jiggle as much. This also works on the door latch pins on older model Fords where the plastic wrap around the pin has disintegrated, causing too much clearance and a snappy sound as the latch grabs onto the pin instead of the nice click. I have used this along with 3M tape with fiberglass strands built in to hold the plastic in place successfully. It doesn't last forever, but doesn't take much time nor cost too much. Mrs likes it when her door closes and latches nicely.
tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.