Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 but i figured this applied to 2008 - 2011 models...

I have searched high and low and i've seen plenty of comments about the a-pillar being the best place for tweeter install but I couldn't find someone who actually did a flush mount install in the a-pillar. I decided to remove the plastic piece today and my luck.... frekin harness is in the exact location that a tweeter would fit....

So has anyone done a flush mount tweeter install in this location? I am already aware of the other solution with the pvc cap but I do prefer the look of the flush mount.

and if you are wondering how to get the the a-pillar off (took me a while to figure it out) Once you pop the clips out you have to slide this plastic piece down and out and then the pillar comes right out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've thought about putting mine in that location too, but since I'm not running active or any time alignment the doors would be the best bet.

Maybe that harness can be removed and moved either up, down or to the side. Looks like there is a little slack in the cable.

·
Registered
64 Posts
shanes said:
I've thought about putting mine in that location too, but since I'm not running active or any time alignment the doors would be the best bet.

Maybe that harness can be removed and moved either up, down or to the side. Looks like there is a little slack in the cable.
This looks similar to issues we have on aircraft quite frequently. They usually put a mounting item on the harness just above and below molex connectors like that. I would get some zip ties, remove the harness from said mounting points, position it where you want it, then using zip ties, secure that puppy where you want it. Just be mindful of where you're drilling if you do any initial "pilot" holes with the trim piece still in the (I almost typed aircraft :lol: ) vehicle.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The door works but if there's a spot in that pillar I'd go for it. Typically with pillar wiring, you can undo a bit of the tape and stuff, and move things around to fit. It is usually worth it. It is painful trying to sell a car later with a hole in the door panel. This means you have to leave your stuff in the door when you sell it. A-pillars are cheap to buy, making it a bit smarter typically.

You can also fiberglass the A-pillar and then wrap it in fabric or vinyl. More work but at that point anything fits.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Birdoc22, Any update on your tweeter install yet?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
That is 100% perfect. How is the imaging in the front? Have you set up a form of time alignment to center and balance the stage?

·
Registered
41 Posts
fourthmeal said:
That is 100% perfect. How is the imaging in the front? Have you set up a form of time alignment to center and balance the stage?
No processing yet. I did measure it out using some acoustic software and could certainly benefit from a good processor, not that I couldn't tell from just listening to it. I've got a long ways to go, but the separates were my first objective, if only because I couldn't take those stock speakers for a day longer.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Install looks awesome. Great work. I wonder without any processing if the distance from the mids to the teeters has any negative effects. When I was mapping out my set-up, I placed the tweeters in that same spot and it did not sound as good as mounting in the door. I did the old sticky velcro pinning and played around with the positioning. If it sounds great where they are with no processing, then you are good to go.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I hear what you're saying Sinister, but it can never sound as good as it should, simply because you 'sit' off-center. I measured a few different spots before I landed them there, and even though they sound good, they still need to be tweaked with some sort of processor.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm sorry the ignorance, but this mis-alignment is something everyone would notice? or just you Audiophiles?

I wonder, since I had an install in my previous car, and put the twitters on the door, but everything sounded perfect to me. (the HU, an Alpine DD, had something to correct this, however i never messed with it) :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
molanojuan said:
I'm sorry the ignorance, but this mis-alignment is something everyone would notice? or just you Audiophiles?

I wonder, since I had an install in my previous car, and put the twitters on the door, but everything sounded perfect to me. (the HU, an Alpine DD, had something to correct this, however i never messed with it) :D
Don't ever get bit by the audiophile bug. If it sounds perfect to you, go with it and don't look back! My personal philosophy, if you have the basics correct (i.e phase, EQ, etc), the rest is all but 5% that you will chase for the rest of your life. :)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
You don't have to be an audiophile to appreciate music reproduction the way it was intended to be.

Stereo sound provides an acoustic 3D image that anyone can hear. All I am after is the closest reproduction to this original image when I build systems. Sure, getting loud and bassy is fun, but in the end, its all about the music and the emotions contained. I promise you this, invest now in a system that can do a proper image, and you'll feel like you got a lot more for your money out of every piece of music you play. It makes listening not just a thing you do in the car, but a thing you look forward to doing!

For anybody that hasn't already experienced this 3D thing, go home audio shopping and start listening right away. You don't need anything more than a quality set of speakers, a decent receiver to power them, and your butt sitting in the middle of the two speakers triangulated equally from them. Close your eyes, listen to the music, sense the instruments, the vocals, the stage height / width / depth. Its all there.

Then the trick is to use the least expensive appropriate approach to make this work in the car. That's the challenge!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Nice description there 4th. I agree. I still think about processing now and then to "adjust" the difference in sitting on one side of the vehicle (sorry for the non-technical description). I am still amazed now when I get in the vehicle and truly appreciate the sound that my system delivers. I spent a lot of time getting everything balanced, getting the correct front stage and rear fill, correct hi/lo pass adjustments for mids and bass and the HU EQ sounding perfect. Each day I get in and truly appreciate the music.

You do notice that the passenger side sound is farther away from your ears. I even add a slight more % to the right side to help counter act that. I know it isn't technically correct, but it does sound slightly better balanced. Now add in correct time alignment and processing and literally every speaker will be matched to your seating position.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
sinister mob said:
Nice description there 4th. I agree. I still think about processing now and then to "adjust" the difference in sitting on one side of the vehicle (sorry for the non-technical description). I am still amazed now when I get in the vehicle and truly appreciate the sound that my system delivers. I spent a lot of time getting everything balanced, getting the correct front stage and rear fill, correct hi/lo pass adjustments for mids and bass and the HU EQ sounding perfect. Each day I get in and truly appreciate the music.

You do notice that the passenger side sound is farther away from your ears. I even add a slight more % to the right side to help counter act that. I know it isn't technically correct, but it does sound slightly better balanced. Now add in correct time alignment and processing and literally every speaker will be matched to your seating position.
To detail this further, there is a range of frequencies that can be acoustically centered using volume. This is the high frequencies that a tweeter plays. The wave in air needs to be shorter than the space between our ears, give or take. So, a simple tweeter solution is to use L pads (attenuators) and dial back the closer tweeter (usually left) a dB or so. But, this only works with tweeters. Mid-range and down (all the way to sub frequencies), time alignment is critical.

All of this stuff is only necessary because door panels make horrible speaker locations and enclosures.

·
Registered
836 Posts
That makes sense. I did notice a bit better sound just rebalancing one notch over to the passenger side. Probably due to what you just described.

The door panels do indeed suck for a speaker location. Low and directed into the driver/passenger legs. :bang:

Funny thing is my wife's fusion stock radio sounds AWESOME as is. If it was not a company car, I would totally re-do that vehicle with new speakers etc. Those door panels seem to be so much better designed to direct sound properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it's been a while since i have checked my post... man all questions have finally been answered if a-pillar install is even possible (anything is possible ) but this looks great :clap:

. I'm still searching for what components to buy... (any suggestions???) My budget is low and i'm looking under $150.

Donnie said:
Lots of room there for flush mount. Here's my 2011.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts