Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wassup Escape fans...

Can somebody please help with this one... I have a kicker sub / kenwood amp that I want to hook up to the standard sound system - can anyone tell me if/where I can get a line out for the audio signal? If not, any other options that doesn't cause too much intrusion to the existing wiring??

Thanks y'all
Hurburr

·
Registered
77 Posts
You can get a line converter from most any audio shop and just tie into the rear speakers. It will convert the singal from the speakers into an RCA input for the amp. Just tell them what you are trying to do and they will know what you need. You will also need a good 12v power source and a good ground. Run a FUSED wire staright to the battery and be sure to use a grommet when entering the cab of the vehicle. Try to find an existing bolt (seat, seatbelt) to use as a ground.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
None of the factory systems have documented line-level outputs.

The only things you can do with the factory system to get line-level signals are:
* Use a converter (above)
* Take apart the head unit and figure out where the line-level sources are fed into the electronic volume/balance/fade/EQ IC (you can probably do this if you're handy with electronics and if you have the schematics, which you can find at http://www.manualsparadise.com

I found the complete list of schematics for my Edge's factory navigation head unit there. All I needed was the Ford part number.

I have factory audio system documentation already up at E-C:

Here are the pinouts for the 2008 factory audio connectors (I'll put the up the audio system diagrams soon): viewtopic.php?f=27&t=589

·
Registered
327 Posts
hey man i put an aftermarekt deck in my 08 escape so I know longer need the converters which I had running to my amps.. I will sell you mine for cheap if you want them just hiit me up.. They were tied in with the rear speakers and stuck in the pillar posts so hiit me up if your interested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the prompt responses folks, BUT...the only factory speakers are on the doors which makes it pretty messy.
Did I mention that it's only a subwoofer? I noticed from jpark's diagrams that connector C240C was what I needed to tap into...anyone know where it's located?

Also noticed from a few catalogs that there was an option for an Audiophile sound system which included a subwoofer; does anyone have that option? Probably all models have the required wiring already right?
If anyone does have this installed please post a few pic's so I can get some clues as to where the harness might be...

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:wave:
OK Guys

I just finished the job and it turned out to be quite easy.
Ran a positive power cable to the battery, only obstruction was a rubber stopper at the engine/dash partition that I simply pulled off and ran the power cable through. Ground cable was attached to one of the bolts in the floor of the trunk.

For the audio signal: opened the cover of the centre door post (just need to grab & yank it out!). Just about where the cabling runs from the post into the door - there is a well with a connector (covered with a plastic sticker). Just peeled the sticker back & found the audio cable within the connector, inserted my amp's high-power input cable into the back of the connector ...that's it!

Mail me if you need any more details.

·
Registered
297 Posts
i think i may fit some ICE to mine when it comes, just need to decide whether to splice in with the stock head unit or go aftermarket - anyone used anything like the JL cleansweep?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just hooked up the line out behind the radio, that way it was hidden in the dash. Cut back the plastic wrapping on the radio harness located the speaker wires, and splice splice-clipped them in. Seems to be working just fine for me. Although I found it hard to actually find the pinout for the 08 Escape radio. But I found one for an 08 Edge, and most Ford radio harnesses are the same.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
FYI: I have all of the Escape's factory wiring diagrams, from 2001-2009. That includes 2005-2009 Mariners.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
That wiring should be included only if you had a subwoofer from the factory, but it doesn't hurt to look.

Open the liftgate, and you should see an access panel on the right side. Remove the cover and look around for a ten-pin connector with five wires. The connector will have six pins in a row on top, and two more in lower rows on each side. If that connector has a LIGHT GREEN with BLACK STRIPE wire on one side, and four other wires, that's the subwoofer amplifier connector.

You may also find two other connectors on the same harness, a 2-pin and a 16-pin. Those are for the optional reverse sensing system.

I can't post a picture at the moment, but see if you can find the subwoofer connector.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
The connectors will be about two or three feet from the opening, toward the front of the car, if you have them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts