Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have an 08 XLT where the center display at the top of the head unit has died...no display at all. The radio still works, but it would appear that the CD player is non-functional now; I've been unable to load any discs. I've taken it in to the dealership and they couldn't figure out anything other than replacing the whole display and HU which would be prohibitively expensive. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and if they were able to fix it with something other than a replacement?

RJ

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
If it's doa, nothing except a replacement. I'd sure surf the J/Y for parts on this if your price sensitive. I'd replace it, but then again it wouldn't necessarily be a Ford headunit. Sony, JVC, whatever. It would probably be moving on... :shrug:

I did have issue with what ours was/was not displaying. It had stopped showing the radios artist, song and station. Just a clock. I took it in, and they replaced something as the repair record only shows a part number, IIRC. No cost, but that was warranty work...

·
Registered
836 Posts
A 2008 should be under factory warranty, no? Unless you have more than the warranty mileage.....

If so replace the HU with an aftermarket one. By the time you source a replacement and replace it with another stocker, you could have replaced the HU...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys...I was already leaning towards replacing it with an aftermarket HU...looks like that's the way to go. Now to get my hands on a Metra mounting kit...

RJ

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
You SURE a fuse didn't blow? Sounds like that's what happened.

If you want to replace, I would suggest the Pioneer AVH-P3200 or 4200 models. Amazon had the 4200 on the cheap lately. They make a great backbone for aftermarket gear, which makes a huge difference compared with stock.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm pretty ignorat these days, but with the weird layout of the radio, AC controls & the HUD, how does one replace the radio in these?
It's not like my 00 Expy with the traditional rectangle radio, pull out & slide a new one in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was my first thought...I checked fuses 14, 28 and 39 (front display module, radio and radio) and they all look fine. Pulled and reset them with no change.

I was actually looking at the AVH-P3200BT as a possible unit. Glad to know its recommended.

RJ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
08HybridOK said:
I'm pretty ignorat these days, but with the weird layout of the radio, AC controls & the HUD, how does one replace the radio in these?
It's not like my 00 Expy with the traditional rectangle radio, pull out & slide a new one in.
From what I can find, you pull the vent housing over the radio (with the display module) first, then undo a couple screws and then remove the accessories panel at the bottom, and then you can remove the radio housing and slide out the enviro controls and radio. An aftermarket mounting kit will let you slot in a DIN or 2DIN radio. A little more involved than the old "poke the holes and slide out the radio" set up...but such is the price of progress I suppose.

RJ

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
To remove/install the radio properly you just go to Metraonline and dl the manual.

·
Registered
836 Posts
In case I missed it, is the vehicle still under warranty? A 2008 should not have a dead HU if it is not a fuse issue. If it is, take it to the dealer and have them diagnose it. If you don't have a warranty left, and it is not a blown fuse, then replace the unit with a shiny new aftermarket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
About 20,000k over the warranty limit. Looking like I'll be replacing the HU...just pricing out a Metra install kit and I'm thinking of going with the Pioneer AVH-P3200BT. I like the idea of the built in Bluetooth. Thanks for the help guys.

RJ

·
Registered
836 Posts
rjwhitney said:
About 20,000k over the warranty limit.
Aha. Gotcha now... When looking at the kits, I think the Metra has a better color match to the silver trim. Mine is identical to the factory "silver". I saw a couple of Scoche (sp?) ones that didn't match well. Not sure what color center stack you have.

Also be sure to double ground that HU. Check out my "Sinister's first build" thread pics and any one of 4thmeal's 40 threads about installs for tips and pictures. For the harness I recommend any one of the PAC adaptors over the "cheaper" ones out there. Plus if you want to retain the steering wheel controls, the PAC harness is "plug-and-play" compatible with the SWI adaptor. No soldering or splicing needed.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My console is silver as well. Was toying with the idea of going with the black Metra kit, but decided against it because the console around the vent housing would still be silver and I think that would look funny. So the silver Metra it is.

Thanks for the tips on the harness and the grounding of the HU. I'll take a look at those pictures.

RJ

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have installed Pioneer AVH-3200BT last week and it works great Installation is Very easy if you know little bit about electronics Whole installation took 1hr .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts