Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a steering wheel out of an '08 escape. it is a tan leather wrapped w/ cruise functions on the left and audio controls on the right. THIS WILL ONLY WORK WITH THE 3.0. if i knew this piece of info...i wouldnt be selling it. the 2.3L has different teeth yet the same clockspring for this. so it will not work on a 2.3L. anyone interested? if not it will go on ebay.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Interesting...I have the 2.3L also.

I had a Fairlane back in the day. Same thing, sort of. The 160 cid six had coarse teeth on the driveshaft into the transmission yoke. Same on the axle end. I found a V-8 car with a 221 cid engine. It had fine teeth on the shafts... Why do that? :confused:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
different transmissions would be my bet.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont know why they do that...you would think it would be more cost effective to just make them all the same. unless this is their sneaky way of having unique items for certain models. guess you figured out i wasnt too thrilled with this idea when i had to pay for the installation of a new steering wheel even though its not on there. but ill make someone a good deal on it if they want it. for those who have the 3.0 but dont have audio controls. all the clocksprings are supposed to be the same so thats not an issue. thats what ford told me. they have six different set ups but they all yield the same part number.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
CrashNburn said:
different transmissions would be my bet.
Actually the transmissions are the same except for the output shaft is either coarse or fine teeth. Current model Mustangs do have different trannys. V-6 has the Tremec T5, and the V-8 has a Tremec T-3650. I just was speculating that they do the steering wheel thing for other reasons. It's just oblique to me...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
how much torque do they output? maybe they changed them for a more sturdy driveshaft for the higher torque valued engine?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what does any of this have to do w/ the size of teeth on the top of the steering column shaft? the holes are the same size, in comparison its like having two 1/4" bolts, 1 has fine teeth, 1 has coarse teeth, they will both hold something together but need two different nuts. this is the way the steering shaft is. just a difference in the teeth on them and absolutely retarded. :horse: thats what the guy who came up with this dumb idea should have done to him.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
drescape08 said:
what does any of this have to do w/ the size of teeth on the top of the steering column shaft? the holes are the same size, in comparison its like having two 1/4" bolts, 1 has fine teeth, 1 has coarse teeth, they will both hold something together but need two different nuts. this is the way the steering shaft is. just a difference in the teeth on them and absolutely *******. :horse: thats what the guy who came up with this dumb idea should have done to him.
HAHA. thats funny. and your right they should smack the guy at least.

·
Registered
103 Posts
that's a shame, i sure would like to replace the "urethane" steering wheel on my 2.3 XLS with the leather-wrapped version, and this one is even the right color.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes it is. i got a good deal on the steering wheel and cant use it. unless you wanted to remove the mount inside the wheel and switch with yours theres no way to use it. and i dont know how that could be done. id sell it to someone who wanted the audio controls on a leather wrapped wheel for $75 to get my money back out of it.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
do you just the steering wheel? or the entire shaft? maybe i read this thread wrong, but im reading it that you have the steering wheel and the shaft.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just the steering wheel. its the difference in shafts from the 2.3 to the 3.0 that kept me from installing it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
where did you get it? i'm also looking to change the steering wheel and add the Sync system to my 09 tribute but i can't find a place to get them ((

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i found mine on ebay. just keep an eye open on there

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no i dont. i resold it back on ebay as i had no use for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts