Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the forum, but don't see an answer to this problem.

When signaling a RIGHT turn the blinker on the dash flashes "fast".

Conventional wisdom says "check the bulbs." So....I checked the bulbs in the following manner:

1) Pulling the bulbs out...and looking at them. They looked fine.
2) Turning the headlights on....both right rear bulbs light up.
3) Signaling a left turn (I know...other side).... the left side works fine.
4) Pressing the brake brightens the LEFT side rear lights....but NOT the right side (and when I say brighter, I mean brighter than when just the headlights are on).

Based on this....I believe the bulbs are fine.

I also visually inspected ALL of the tiny fuses in the fuse box in the engine. The ones that I could pull out look fine. The ones that I could see into looked fine as well. There were a few that were squarish and black, and could not be looked into...or pulled easily.

The parts sites suggest that there is a turn signal relay (which, if true, could mean that the relay is bad (...here is one site http://www.car-stuff.com/mmparts/ford-e ... relay.html).

I have read several posts that suggest that there is a "Smart Junction Box" which apparently controls the turn signals.

So....I'm a bit confused.

Is there a turn signal relay? Or not? If so, could the relay be the source of the problem? And could the "smart junction box" (which is supposedly above the driver's feet) be the problem?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

- Ben

·
Registered
482 Posts
I "think" they use a double filament.

I know you said you put your headlamps on, but did you try signalling right and visually checking if the right side front and rear signal light are working?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Four_Eyes said:
I "think" they use a double filament.
I thought they did, too. Quoth the Tang:

Tang said:
In 2008+ Escapes, the turn signal is the SAME bulb as the brake. [...] Sounds like you just need a new bulb. Brake lights are dual filament bulbs: one filament lights for the driving lights when you have your headlights on, the other one lights up when you activate your turn signal or hit the brakes. If the second one is out, that might explain the hyperblink. Your bulb might still work with your headlights but not with the brakes.
viewtopic.php?p=107288#p107288

·
Registered
440 Posts
2008FordEscapeXLT said:
4) Pressing the brake brightens the LEFT side rear lights....but NOT the right side (and when I say brighter, I mean brighter than when just the headlights are on).

Based on this....I believe the bulbs are fine.
I'd say it's your bulb. See the posts above.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I had the same dilemma, quite a few months back.
My service tech, diagnosed it as a faulty bulb.

He fitted a new bulb.
The signal flash, went back to normal speed. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To Four_Eyes, Domain, and LX302, and Stone....

You guys totally ROCK! You're *all* right on two counts.

1) The '08 Escape XLT *does* use a double filament.
2) One filament (the "turn signal" filament...) was bad but not the OTHER.

FWIW, I originally DID pull out the bulb and look at it. I DID notice the two filaments. But what I did NOT notice was the tiny (and I mean LESS than 1 MILLIMETER) gap in the turn signal filament.

So....this is how I confirmed the diagnosis:

I swapped bulbs (right side to left side) and tried signalling again.

The "bad" side now worked.

So....off I went to Advanced Auto Parts for a $5.99 pack of two replacement bulbs.

Swapped out the "bad" bulb, and presto....everything is cool.

I would not have gone back to look at the bulbs without your suggestion.

I owe you guys.

- Ben

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
2008FordEscapeXLT said:
To Four_Eyes, Domain, and LX302,

You guys rock! You're right on two counts.

1) The '08 Escape XLT *does* use a double filament.
2) The "other" filament was bad.

FWIW, I originally DID pull out the bulb and look at it. I DID notice the two filaments. But what I did NOT notice was the tiny (and I mean LESS than 1 MILLIMETER) gap in the turn signal filament.

This is how I confirmed the diagnosis:

I swapped bulbs (right side to left side) and tried signalling again.

The "bad" side now worked.

So....off I went to Advanced Auto Parts for a $5.99 pack of two replacement bulbs.

Swapped out the "bad" bulb, and presto....everything is cool.

I would not have gone back to look at the bulbs without your suggestion.

I owe you guys.

- Ben
Ben, I'm glad you got the issue fixed. This may seem like a dumb question, but it doesn't appear that you ever actually verified that the right turn signal was working (i.e. standing outside the car and looking at it), other than taking out the bulbs and inspecting them. I would have done this before all of the other steps that you listed, and then swapped the bulbs second. It's not a big deal, but you could have saved some time and effort :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
slavrenz said:
Ben, I'm glad you got the issue fixed. This may seem like a dumb question, but it doesn't appear that you ever actually verified that the right turn signal was working (i.e. standing outside the car and looking at it), other than taking out the bulbs and inspecting them. I would have done this before all of the other steps that you listed, and then swapped the bulbs second. It's not a big deal, but you could have saved some time and effort :)
Slavrenz,

It's not a dumb question. Actually a good point. I *did* test the right turn signal (i.e. I turned on the right turn signal, and walked around the car.) The turn signal was flashing "normally" in the front....but not at all in the rear.

Based on that, I assumed that the signalling mechanism (switch) in the steering column was functioning.

What made this difficult for me (and again, kudos to you all for making me look a second time), was that the bulb "appeared" to be ok. Normally when I see a burned out bulb, it's fairly obvious. For example, the entire filament is missing, and in pieces. Or the bulb has a BIG silver/black spot on the glass (from burning). Or if you shake the bulb you hear a tell-tale ringing or rattling.

This was that *rare* case when the filament developed a hairline crack in it.

It was so small that I could only see it by holding the bulb up to my eye and looking at it against the sunlight.

But hey, what makes life interesting is when the problem does NOT yield to "conventional" troubleshooting. Reminds me a little of my days as a PC desktop support analyst. Sometimes things just didn't work the way they were supposed to....and we had to be a little creative in our problem solving.

Anyway, I'm still wondering if the turn signal is control via a "relay" (as one part site suggests), or is it controlled via the "smart junction box."

If anyone knows....do you mind sharing?

- Ben

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Starting in 2005 for the E/M/T, all turn signal functions were controlled by high-side FETs in the Smart Junction Box. The clicking sound on 2005-2007 models was produced by a dummy relay in the instrument cluster, and in newer models, it's a synthesized sound produced by the warning chime speaker.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I finally found SOMETHING close to what I am having on my 09 Escape LTD

A week or so ago the LEFT signal when clicked started flashing superfast

I didnt check the light itself for a few days but:

1) The lights work on both sides
2) The RIGHT signal and break works

BUT

3) The LEFT signal and break DOES NOT work

I looked a the manual and dont know if I should start replacing fuses or what the heck I should do

CAN ANYONE JUMP IN AND HELP?

·
Registered
482 Posts
The fast blink is an indication that you have a burnt out bulb.

Is the front left signal working?

Check the signal/brake bulb in the left rear tail light. I think you'll find it's burnt out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts