Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered my HID kit, and was wondering where those of you that have them mounted your ballast box.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered mine from DDM Tuning. I have a friend that has bought 4 kits from them for various cars he's owned, and has never had a problem. I bought the 35W 5000K Hi/Lo kit. I will post up pics of the difference once I actually get them and install them. Should be this weekend, or atlest that is what I'm planning for.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice, please post some pictures and even "How To". We just got the truck yesterday and I'm going to get a 35W 6000K (halogen Hi, HID low) for it. Will be installing it soon but confused about how to deal with Daytime Running Lights (DRL) since its a CDN model.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Jeff, are the ballasts guaranteed to work with pulsed power?

On 2005+ models, Ford pulses the low beams with square-wave (75%+ duty cycle) 12V, not constant-on 12V. This is also how the DRLs work for Canadian E/M/Ts, except that the pulse has a lower duty cycle to make the lamps look dimmer. The ballasts need to work with this kind of supply, or else the ballasts will cause the HID bulbs to flicker or not ignite at all.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked with the company and they told me that the ballast should work. That left me with an uneasy feeling. I guess we shall find out.

·
Registered
679 Posts
U might need a relay harness, or sometimes the ballasts have them built in. I sell the kit gaurenteed to work with the drl. Lifetime warranty on the ballasts and bulbs. 200$

·
Registered
679 Posts
U can mount them any where, i have one mounted on a air conditoner pipe which is insulated and onther on the frame near the radiator.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Couldn't wait til Saturday. Got them installed last night. Was alot simpler to install than I expected. Took maybe 45 minutes at the most, and that was only because I removed the battery to get to the drivers headlight. Everything was plug and play which was good. I will post up pics sometime this weekend. When I have the HID's on High beam and kick on the Hella's it's like I'm hovering the moon out in front of my truck.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I'm glad that your HIDs were capable of dealing with the square-wave power. Do you see any flickering at all?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Pics of my mounted ballasts. I utilized the holes already in the body. The passenger side is mounted to the side directly. The driver side I made a small simple bracket that bolted to a factory hole and mounted it upside down (only way it could fit)

Wires run from under the body where the rad is - secured with black zipties

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry the wires are tucked away but yes they utilize the H13 harness. It is direct plug and play (plus grounds and adding one connection to the battery) it is very easy and all items are supplied. You only need a socket set and some zip ties (and bolts that fit the holes on the body if you want to mount the ballasts using them).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Jeff M, any updates on these HID's. They seem extremely cheap and I was wondering how they are holding up? Any issues to date. What color did you get? Lastly, any change you have some pics? Inquiring minds want to know. Thank in advance.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts