Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello every1... scape city newbie here. I was wondering if anyone knew why the 08's instr panel has a cut out 4x4 symbol yet it doesnt light up nor is it even mentioned in my manual w/ the rest of the symbols... just curious??? And yes mine is the 4wd and ive put it to the test this winter up here in boston.

Thx.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I dunno :shrug: , but then we own a 08 2 wd Tribbie. Same everything that counts except that ours isn't 4 X 4.

Maybe give your dealer a call and talk to the Escape expert in the service dept. Maybe just a bad bulb. You could see if it lights up when you first energize the ignition before cranking the engine for that last thing. If it doesn't lite, that maybe the culprit...a bad bulb. It does happen. :bill:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Welcome to E-C!

No newer Ford ('06+ Fusion, '07+ Edge, '08+ Escape) uses bulbs anywhere in the instrument panel or in the interior switches anymore. They're all LEDs, and they'll easily outlast the car. The only bulbs you'll find in the entire interior are in the map and dome lights (they're even LEDs in some Lincolns) and in the floor shift indicator.

Although a non-FWD Escape is marketed as a "4WD", it's really the same or similar AWD system Ford uses on the Edge, Fusion, MKX, Taurus, Taurus X, and several other models. It's a completely automatic system, and there's no instrument panel indicator to let you know that it's engaged. In fact, it can engage and disengage very rapidly, so if you did have an indicator, you'd probably see it flickering in slippery conditions.

There is a traction control indicator (the car on a slippery road symbol) on '08+ Escapes, and there's a wrench symbol that will light if there's a problem with the Powertrain Control Module or AWD system. Both of those indicators are on the left side of the cluster, above the theft indicator You should see them when you start your Escape.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys... yeah it doesnt light up at all, its located above the traction cnrtl symbol top lefthand side. I noticed this when the sunlight hit the panel you can see all the symbols and said to myself i dont remember seeing that?, once again just curious this is my first 4x4 vehicle and im very impressed... oh well! thanks again.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I didn't even see one listed in the '08 manual.

If it's in the cluster, it's only to warn you that there's something wrong with the system.

And I agree. Both my '05 Escape and now my '07 Edge were/are really great in slippery conditions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts