Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
I strongly suggest that you find a way to reinforce the piece where the shock absorber mounts, to the frame beam. The wheel well sheetmetal being so thin, I'd be afraid that someday the whole thing will detach from the beam.
Your work is almost a piece of art. :) Once you are done, prep the surface and bondo it again, to make sure that stones will not chip the surface and let the water seep again under the paint.
Have you removed the plastic panels from inside the trunk, to see if there are other problem areas?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think that you will not see it break for the rest of its life. I did something similar but with fiberglass, and it still holds fine after 6 years. It includes the area around the gas inlet port. I'm now wasting way too much time on the wheel arches under the plastic edges. Yours does not have those, I think. They are a home for water and salt. When they need to be reworked, no valid sheetmetal remains underneath. I took off an inch of crap, and now I have to redo both the inner and outer sheetmetal around the wheel arch. A quarter-inch opening all round. Gotta close that gap before the snow comes for good. :-(

1 - 2 of 2 Posts