Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a question here...maybe someone has some input. i have an 08 w/ manual tranny. seems like when its cold out, i either have a hard time getting it in 1st and sometimes reverse...if i do get it in. took it in...they said its where they use 90w oil in the tranny instead of tranny fluid. when its warmed up...not a problem, but until then its the same and its like when u go from 1st to 2nd it more pops out of gear. i undertand the heavy oil is thick and it will be harder to shift...but why will it go into all other gears fine...just a lil more resistance, but pretty much wont go into 1st? and i dont want to force it into a gear. i have 33k on it...but is this really natural? or could something else be going on?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no ideas?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Not sure, but I've noticed the same thing with 1 and 2, not so much with R. Granted my cold temps aren't nearly the same as your cold. I've also found trouble putting it into 1st when going around 5mph.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im gonna have them check it one more time...but i think im gonna switch mine over to amsoil. my buddy has a f250 that he switched over...and claims even on the coldest days his shifts like its already warmed up. and amsoil is prob the best oil on the market. ill let you know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Imho, I would wait to change your fluids over. It can/does void the warranty should you need to have the tranny serviced.

The previous owner of my Bullitt changed the lube in the tranny, the engine and the rear end. :( It would not shift correctly, so I took it in to be looked at while there was still warranty left. The dealership service writer advised me that i shouldn't use that fluid in the tranny as it voided my warranty. They would switch it back if I wanted and do what they could for me on the shifting :worry: .
I figured it was all blarney, but told them I didn't put it in there and would the please swap it back to the Ford recommended fluid. It actually shifts better with the Ford fluid than with the Royal Purple the PO had paid big bucks for! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
It depends on whether or not the aftermarket fluid meets the Ford specifications as outlined in your manual. If it does, then your warranty is still good. Magnuson-Moss covers that in the States, and the Canadian Competition Act covers it in Canada.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts