Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Revamped Escape is a winner:
This small SUV was re-engineered for the 2009 model year. Among the changes are modifications to the frontal airbags and safety belts plus structural changes to improve occupant protection in frontal crashes. The new Escape improves from acceptable to good in the Institute's frontal offset crash test. A new seat design improves the rear crash protection rating from acceptable to good. Side airbags, optional before 2008 models, now are standard.
Comparison Chart:

Guaranteed to make you cry!

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has released complete crash test scores today for eight SUVs including the 2009 Ford Escape, 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander, 2008 Nissan Rogue, 2009 VW Tiguan, 2008 Chevy Equinox/Pontiac Torrent, 2008 Jeep Wrangler 2-door, the Jeep Patriot and the Suzuki Grand Vitara. When we say complete crash tests, we mean the IIHS performed front, side and rear crash tests on all eight SUVs.

Each vehicle was given an overall rating of good, acceptable, marginal or poor, and the Escape, Outlander, Rogue and Tiguan earned good ratings in all three tests and, since they each come with electronic stability control as standard equipment, were also named Top Safety Picks by the IIHS. The rest of the group received either acceptable or marginal ratings in some tests, though the worst performing was the Jeep Wrangler 2-door. While the Jeep did earn a good rating in the frontal crash test, its side crash test was rated as poor, the lowest rating possible.

Automakers with SUVs that earned Top Safety Pick awards will now be touting their achievements from the rooftops. Ford has already started, noting in a press release that the Escape tops Toyota and Honda in combined safety and fuel efficiency ratings. Other automakers, meanwhile, are trying to explain away why their vehicles didn't perform as well in the IIHS tests. General Motors issued a press release noting that the Equinox and Torrent earned 5-stars in the NHTSA tests and that the IIHS side crash test is a "single and very sever test.
Photo Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/iihs-suv-crash-tests/988251/

Full Story:
http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr082008.html

Comparison chart (PDF)
http://www.iihs.org/news/2008/iihs_news_082008.pdf

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I'm glad it scored so high in the safety ranking, but what really amazes me is it tops small SUVs in gas mileage too! Even after they went to the new format for determining gas mileage, and everything dropped for more realistic tests, the Escape 4 cyl gets 28 mpg highway! I'm not sure, but I think the V6 is pretty close to that too. My highway mileage has never topped 23 mpg :( Bravo to Ford for getting more horsepower AND mileage out of this platform, as well as the highest possible safety ratings. :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
We are getting our cake and we get to eat it too! How often does that happen? :play:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts