Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost 2 weeks ago the low fuel indicator came on. I had enough fuel that the warning should not come on, and it soon went off. Then all or most warnings lit up, the throttle was sluggish and the steering got heavy. I pulled over to shut it off and restart. Totally dead.

Had it towed to a garage where it remains. First check was to install a known-good 12v battery. No change.

The PCM is now suspect, but the garage has speculated there was a power surge that damaged all sorts of electronics.

Anyone else been through this, or has advice?

09 Limited with awd, 165,000 miles, well maintained.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Hope it’s just the PCM. Could the source be the battery pack shorted? Would think that Ford would put protection in place for a short to contain it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear this. Hope it’s just the PCM. Could the source be the battery pack shorted? Would think that Ford would put protection in place for a short to contain it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Worth considering. Or if something kept the relays from closing that connect the battery pack on startup. These Escapes do have a history of water getting into the PCM and resulting in corrosion failures. Apparently the same PCM is used for the non-hybrids, just programmed differently.

About a month ago the Stop Safely Now warning came on for a couple of minutes. Probably related to the failure.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Do you have a way of pulling codes? might be helpful to know what the SSN was about. ...if the traction battery system shorted or leaked 330V somewhere it wasn't meant to go, I'd expect you'd have had some pretty unsubtle signs, but it does sound like HV went down on you if you lost steering.

Are you getting other 12v functions (lights)? Check the major fuses? looks like you can get a flashed and ready PCM for a lot less than most of the hybrid components...so you could certainly do worse

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have a way of pulling codes? might be helpful to know what the SSN was about. ...if the traction battery system shorted or leaked 330V somewhere it wasn't meant to go, I'd expect you'd have had some pretty unsubtle signs, but it does sound like HV went down on you if you lost steering.

Are you getting other 12v functions (lights)? Check the major fuses? looks like you can get a flashed and ready PCM for a lot less than most of the hybrid components...so you could certainly do worse
I have no way to check the codes as the vehicle was towed to and is still at the service garage. The SSN appeared only for a couple of minutes, and a couple of weeks prior to this breakdown. I was driving at the time, and noted but ignored it.

To be precise about the steering, I didn't completely lose it. It became "heavy". I have in the past experienced the famous total loss of power steering assist, and this was not nearly as severe. In addition, throttle response became very sluggish.

Yes, I've checked the refurbished PCM's on Ebay. The only wrinkles with them are that I'm in Canada, and the PCM's are in the US. And replacing the PCM loses the fob codes. Which is not a big deal.

I had a look at my FEH a couple of days ago, when I went to remove some stuff that was in it when it broke down. A cursory look only, but the PCM didn't appear to have been removed or replaced. It had extensive surface corrosion, as they all seem to have.

If the traction battery is to blame, its operation has been flawless up to this point. The hybrid is getting as good mileage as when it was new, which would indicate it was in perfect condition. But I realize it can fail despite that.

I have had multiple failures of the a/c system. When this happens, and the weather is warm/hot, the hybrid system stops working because the traction battery reaches 100F, and has no way to cool. I never got any of the current symptoms when that happened except for sluggish throttle response.

It seems strange to me that a PCM or traction battery failure would affect the electric power steering boost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts