Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid
98 Posts
What are factory specs on ride height for front and rear, ground to highest fender arch, for the 2009 XLT?
lol
there are so many of these cars on the road, I was suggest going to your nearest box store with a tape measure… Easily answered for more than one trim pkg(it's cold outside!)
lol
there is definitely a F to R rake on the suspension, The rear end will look a little jacked up because of the 1500 pounds that it can tow, and the thousand pound payload capacity.

damn close to 33" rear, with about 100 pounds of junk in the trunk, 1/2 tank gas.

Reactions: 68Kustom

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
damn close to 33" rear, with about 100 pounds of junk in the trunk, 1/2 tank gas.
I have 33" rear height as well, but car feels 'sunken' lately and I suspect a broken seat cushion element. The passenger seat feels correct, but driver's seat feels like sitting on a sponge. There's also a grating squeak on one side of the cushion.

Sometimes the car feels 'up high', like it used to, then it feels 'low'. This has to be the seat.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've looked for this spec in the FSM, with no luck.
I don't have a specific problem, just a very detail oriented person and wanted to know.
If time allows, I may look again tomorrow.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've looked for this spec in the FSM, with no luck.
I'm getting this weird feeling of correct, up-high ride height, then mushy, sunken feel. I suspect the seat's cushion supports are letting go. The parts stores here report the item as discontinued.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am confused about the seat cushion involvement with vehicle ride height.
I measured 31.5 front 32.75 rear on my 2010 this AM.
If it's ride quality, never seen ride height/springs as an issue - lots of struts/shocks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I measured 31.5 front 32.75 rear on my 2010 this AM.
If it's ride quality, never seen ride height/springs as an issue - lots of struts/shocks.
I put in KYB premium cargo shocks to replace aging Ford shocks. Right away, the car seemed to 'mush out' intermittently from what feels like the left rear quarter. The car feels like it sinks not long after it starts moving. Today I stopped ASAP and measured. 33" left and 34" right. The left rear was sagging visually.

KYBs are stiffer shocks than Motorcrafts and my mechanic surmises the left rear coil is sagging. Could a new shock reveal an old spring that likes to sag when car is in motion?

No, springs are not broken. Checked for that. What about a missing spacer? (#10)
White Font Line Sharing Auto part

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is nutty, but: on a 5/8 tank of gas, the car runs and handles like a champ. I made this connection tonight. At 5/8 tank, the rear end leveled out. It seems the left rear spring doesn't like a full tank.

Above 3/4 tankful, my '09 sags and slugs. Suspension and driveline stressed; and engine seems reluctant. On 7/8 tank, you can feel the car lean and sit down at the rear left while in motion. AT shifts seem harder as well.

Burn off gas to 60% and it's nimble again. So how about this deductive and additive reasoning:

Nearly-full fuel tank contents sloshing around
plus gas is more dense in cold weather
plus gas tank set left of centreline and to rear
plus driver set left of centreline
plus aging front and rear springs
= physics.

Also, my street parking involves upslopes, downslopes, and level spots. Leave the car 24 hours in any one of these and you come back to a vehicle with a different 'set'. Probably those aging springs again.

Now. Engine. Why does a full tank of cold gas make the engine unhappy? Extra work to atomize cold and viscous fuel at the injectors? Or is this an early evap valve-canister issue?

·
Registered
98 Posts
shocks don't support weight, they dampen spring rebound. Only the springs support the weight of the vehicle. Ride height can be adjusted for weight with special shocks, but only with special air shocks.
I don't think it's a spacer.

saying you are hearing a scraping sound sounds like either seat suspension, or the frame has failed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This is nutty, but: on a 5/8 tank of gas, the car runs and handles like a champ. I made this connection tonight. At 5/8 tank, the rear end leveled out. It seems the left rear spring doesn't like a full tank.

Above 3/4 tankful, my '09 sags and slugs. Suspension and driveline stressed; and engine seems reluctant. On 7/8 tank, you can feel the car lean and sit down at the rear left while in motion. AT shifts seem harder as well.

Burn off gas to 60% and it's nimble again. So how about this deductive and additive reasoning:

Nearly-full fuel tank contents sloshing around
plus gas is more dense in cold weather
plus gas tank set left of centreline and to rear
plus driver set left of centreline
plus aging front and rear springs
= physics.

Also, my street parking involves upslopes, downslopes, and level spots. Leave the car 24 hours in any one of these and you come back to a vehicle with a different 'set'. Probably those aging springs again.

Now. Engine. Why does a full tank of cold gas make the engine unhappy? Extra work to atomize cold and viscous fuel at the injectors? Or is this an early evap valve-canister issue?
I would say clean your throttlebody, make sure you use special throttlebody cleaner… Not carburetor cleaner.

They gum up, and in the winter they get sticky.
I replaced my oe at 170,000 miles, after two cleanings...
takes less than an hour in the driveway.

if you don't have quality gasoline where you live, I would strongly suggest running a can of BG 44K through your fuel system once a year.

Reactions: 68Kustom

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I would say clean your throttlebody, make sure you use special throttlebody cleaner… Not carburetor cleaner.
They gum up, and in the winter they get sticky.
I replaced my oe at 170,000 miles, after two cleanings...
takes less than an hour in the driveway.
if you don't have quality gasoline where you live, I would strongly suggest running a can of BG 44K through your fuel system once a year.
Yes, was going to see about having TB serviced. As for rear springs, what's your view on Moogs? I can't find Motorcraft springs specific to my VIN--just a weird substitute part number that no Ford parts counter can identify and so won't recommend. The original springs are 'discontinued'.

·
Registered
98 Posts
hmmm, posted it twice. Please read below.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes, was going to see about having TB serviced. As for rear springs, what's your view on Moogs? I can't find Motorcraft springs specific to my VIN--just a weird substitute part number that no Ford parts counter can identify and so won't recommend. The original springs are 'discontinued'.
moog has been around a long time, I am sure there is a reason. ( :
search this part number on eBay, but you get one Ford OE spring for the cost of two moog

FORD OEM Rear Suspension-Coil Spring 9L8Z5560B

Reading your description again, I am willing to bet you were going to find a broken spring when addressed.

if the part number I see is different than the one you see, they may have superseded it.

eBay has solid guarantees, but I would say go with what is available to you locally.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts