Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I dont have 09, I have an 08 V6. But there have been a few questions about air intake mods for 09 and I would suspect the above years. I would only guess a 90 degree elbow in a left or right direction would work, as the throttle body is pointing towards the front of the Escape. But that is where I stop as I donkt know the specifics of the air box and the things around the box. , I am sure an aftermarket will be made eventually. I know that there some out there that are not fans of aftermarket or self made intakes but this is just a shot in the air.

pics are for reference

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
I'm going to experiment with taking off the rubber hose/clamp for the intake to see if it's any different on my next tank of fuel. When I bought my car, it wasn't properly attached and I somehow recorded 24.5-25 MPGs on a 600-mile trip from Minnesota to Michigan (doing at least 70MPH average) with a loaded vehicle. Having the plastic lid removed has only increased the noise so far, but there's something different going on with the fuel gauge and I'll have to see if it's because I've been stomping on it or if there is genuine improvement with the filter cover removed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Tang said:
I'm going to experiment with taking off the rubber hose/clamp for the intake to see if it's any different on my next tank of fuel. When I bought my car, it wasn't properly attached and I somehow recorded 24.5-25 MPGs on a 600-mile trip from Minnesota to Michigan (doing at least 70MPH average) with a loaded vehicle. Having the plastic lid removed has only increased the noise so far, but there's something different going on with the fuel gauge and I'll have to see if it's because I've been stomping on it or if there is genuine improvement with the filter cover removed.
that doesnt make any sense. You say there is something different going on, but then say you dunno if it's you stomping on in which leads one to believe you are getting worse MPG, then turn around and say or if its a genuine improvement which leads one to believe you are getting better MPG.......and maybe you arent even talking about MPG even though that seems to be what you are comparing it to having pointed out the prior MPG numbers. I give up! :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
haha... yes, I am confusing.

This is my final statement: the noise is great, but since the engine bay seems to be completely sealed from the front, any additional air would be coming from the sides of the engine bay and from through the radiator. This is probably both good and bad (and maybe more bad than good) for the engine. I don't have the ability to determine whether there is performance improvement, and I haven't been able to drive in any way, shape, or form to determine if there is an MPG improvement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interesting.

I just got a '10 Escape with the 3.0 and was searching for a high flow replacement filter. Does anyone know of a filter, besides K&N, that would work? Might work well with the mod.

thx

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think its called green filters or spectre filters can be used.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That looks like a tough one to improve upon easily. How about a hood scoop that works with the airbox/inlet tube. Sealed and stuff...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That would be awesome! A functioning hood scoop! Easy to make if you had the tools and the auto body skills. OR flip the elbow that goes into the throttle body 180 degrees to point to the driver side wheel well and kinda look like my intake (08 intakes)

·
Registered
168 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts