Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to power a 110v gadget in your car? I needed a way to keep the laptop charged up on long trips. So I installed a 12v to 110v inverter!

This is my inverter installation:

This is the console with the plug installed right in, It has a rubber cover and looks stock.

The inverter was spliced to the second power outlet that was power all the time so it can be used with the engine off. I had it like this for some time but after it drained my battery because it stayed on, I spliced it into the switched one. The switch is in the center console's cubby. It has a green lighted switch now.

That's the Inverter with some custom wires to get it all the way to the console. A second plug was installed in-line so it can also power something else and stayed hidden.

Here is the finished product. It charges the laptop, my camera and cell phones and can even power up a gaming console if I ever install one.

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
Nice mod, I might do that for my Ranger. :rockon:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Where did you find that plug? I have been looking everywhere for something like that? I have an inverter that has 2 plugs coming off of it and a USB port. I would alwost like to take the whole face of it off and cut a hole somewhere and place the front face on the dash somewhere or down by a kick panel.

Here is what I have:

Does anyone know can I just pull out the plugs from the inside of this and extend the wires?? lol

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Yup. Use an extension cord.

:lol: :hyst:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Your the guy with the inverter and the screwdriver, take the plate off and tell us what you have inside. Maybe, maybe not enough wire to go anywhere far. Maybe an inch or so? Just enough to assemble the unit I would guess. Why not an extension cord? :confused:

Ok, JP beat me to the punch... :doh:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
But here is my question...I don't want a cord to hang out. I really want to install it so that there is a plug coming out of the kick panel on the passenger side and then a plug coming out in the rear. I want it to look factory installed and hide the inverter.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
If you have a hardware store, Home Depot, Lowe's what ever, go see the electrical aisle and find your outlet. I bet there is one there that could mount on the instrument panel and do the job you want it to. If not, try the motor home, camper supply store. I bet they have some. You could just call the parts department at those places and save the gas instead of driving around. I am sure you will find what your looking for in one of them. Might have to go further outside the sand box...maybe call the company that has their name on the inverter and see if they will supply you with a part like the one on their inverter? I dunno, just a guess. It's what I would do... ;)

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I tried Lowe's and all I could find were electrical recepticals like the ones you would put into your house...there has to be one that is made for a car to connect a power inverter into.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Did you try going online to the inverters company website and see if they offerr parts to the inverter? Is there an exploded view in your instructions with a part list? I am guessing not, otherwise I would suppose you would already be using that... :doh:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Here are the outlets you're looking for. I've used these for dozens of projects before. They snap into a rectangular hole, slightly smaller than 3/4" by 1".

http://tinyurl.com/8bektu

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I went out to their website and all they have are wiring installation kits and a remote on/off switch for more expensive models. JP...is it me or do those look really...old??

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Do you mean old as in "been in that package for 50 years", or an old design?

Those are the exact same outlets that are on your inverter!

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
They just look used and old lol

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Scooter Scott said:
Where did you find that plug? I have been looking everywhere for something like that? I have an inverter that has 2 plugs coming off of it and a USB port. I would alwost like to take the whole face of it off and cut a hole somewhere and place the front face on the dash somewhere or down by a kick panel.

Here is what I have:

Does anyone know can I just pull out the plugs from the inside of this and extend the wires?? lol
That is exactly what I did, extend the cables. That plug is the one that the inverter had!

I opened it and cut the wires, both the ones leading to the plug and the ones leading to the switch. I used both the original plug and switch. You can see that 2 sets of wires lead out of the inverter in the inverter pic.

I made a template of both holes in the inverter plate and made the hole for the plug in the console and in the cubby for the switch.

Open the inverter up and see whats inside, you can probably do the same. As for the USB connection, I have seen surface mountable USB extensions, that can work.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'd be really interested to see a step-by-step instruction on how to install both the 110v and a USB port in the dash... I'm a girl and a little slow, so it'd be a long weekend thing for me but I'd love to try :D

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I'll start taking it apart...

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Ok took out the 4 screws on the front faceplate and this is what I found:

In this picture you can see the clips of where the On/Off Switch and the electrical outlet itself can be taken off of the faceplate simply by pushing in the clips on both sides of it. Very easy....I popped the On/Off Switch out then put it back in for trial and it was a synch.

In this picture you can see that they are simply connected by the wires being soldered to the male connectors of the plugs. Since I don't own a soldering gun I would just put a female connector and crimp the wires :) (Sorry JP)

Seems fairly simple to do. I would have to find a USB thing for me to use....as there are some things that now use only a USB to charge it I could find this handy from time to time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well that looks pretty straight forward then, I still ay you get a soldering iron and use that instead. You can see from the pics that I used the crimp-on connectors to make the radio surround removable, but everything else is soldered on.

I used a Y plug to supply current using the same cables that lead up to the cig lighter. I cut it up and used one of the female connectors. Since your inverter is larger than mine, I suggest you wire up a dedicated 10 gauge wire from the battery instead and grounding to the body with some more 10 gauge wire.

As for the USB, see if you can find anything like this:
http://www.frontx.com/panel_mount.html

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Scooter Scott said:
<snip>Since I don't own a soldering gun I would just put a female connector and crimp the wires :) (Sorry JP)
:doh:

A soldering iron and a year's supply of solder costs less than a case of beer. And with all of the vibrations in a car, wrapped wires and/or unsecured spade lugs are just electrical shorts waiting to happen.

:bang:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts