Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Escapees, need your help if possible. By again, I mean, I had #6 coil replaced by my mechanic for $64.01 last week, seemed ok for about 10-12 miles or so and then started flashing again and yes, running rough. Not smart at all about engines but religious about maintenance. First major issue I've had, so I'm lucky too but OMG, WHAT NOW???

Can these types of issues jump from one replaced coil to another after replacing? What else could it be???

HELP!!!

·
Premium Member
3,498 Posts
"Again" could be something totally different that the previous CEL flash occurrence. I would suggest getting a code reader or having an auto parts store read the OBD-II DTC codes. Record them, thank them, and go home. Post what you wrote down(captured with cell phone camera, etc).
If you have never replaced the spark plugs on your vehicle, they are likely over 35,000 miles overdue. The COP spark producing elements should last the life of the vehicle, IF they are not forced to produce higher and higher voltage to jump the increased gap of worn spark plugs.
It is also possible something else may need a bit of attention. All vehicles are not 'maintenance free', and frome time-to-time some parts will need to be replaced, no matter who made it and what claims were expressed.
tom

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
For sure need to get what the actual OBD-II failure code is. is it a P030x (x would be the cylinder), is it a P035x (again, x is the cylinder).

Could be the coil, the spark plug, an injector, mechanical, the PCM. There are some easy troubleshooting steps like swapping around plugs (and checking them!), coils, and injectors. An excessively worn plug can cause a coil to go bad which can cause issues with the PCM, a pretty common issue with the Escape and Fusions.

Reactions: mrav1965

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Again" could be something totally different that the previous CEL flash occurrence. I would suggest getting a code reader or having an auto parts store read the OBD-II DTC codes. Record them, thank them, and go home. Post what you wrote down(captured with cell phone camera, etc).
If you have never replaced the spark plugs on your vehicle, they are likely over 35,000 miles overdue. The COP spark producing elements should last the life of the vehicle, IF they are not forced to produce higher and higher voltage to jump the increased gap of worn spark plugs.
It is also possible something else may need a bit of attention. All vehicles are not 'maintenance free', and frome time-to-time some parts will need to be replaced, no matter who made it and what claims were expressed.
tom
Thank you Tom. The code was P0206 so they replaced the fuel injector and I picked it up yesterday and so far so good. Totally agree, not maintenance free and it's time for a tune-up, at a minimum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For sure need to get what the actual OBD-II failure code is. is it a P030x (x would be the cylinder), is it a P035x (again, x is the cylinder).

Could be the coil, the spark plug, an injector, mechanical, the PCM. There are some easy troubleshooting steps like swapping around plugs (and checking them!), coils, and injectors. An excessively worn plug can cause a coil to go bad which can cause issues with the PCM, a pretty common issue with the Escape and Fusions.
Thanks for chiming in bangster. As I mentioned to Tom in response to his reply to my post, I was told that it was P0206 but wasn't there to see it for myself. Paid another $100 to have the affected fuel injector replaced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for chiming in bangster. As I mentioned to Tom in response to his reply to my post, I was told that it was P0206 but wasn't there to see it for myself. Paid another $100 to have the affected fuel injector replaced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Tom. The code was P0206 so they replaced the fuel injector and I picked it up yesterday and so far so good. Totally agree, not maintenance free and it's time for a tune-up, at a minimum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts