Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The photo states it all. Thirty, 40lb bags of wood pellets inside my 2005 FEH. I hauled this load three miles to home without any incident. Yes the vehicle goes into electric mode with this "load". No it did not feel as if this load was too heavy. Yes, it appears at least five more bags of wood pellets could easily fit inside this vehicle's cargo area.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
That's a lot of pellets! The roominess of the Escape was one of the reasons I bought one.
That must have dropped the back end a little. Nice to know these vehicles are certainly capable. :thumb:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rehctelf said:
That's a lot of pellets!
That must have dropped the back end a little.capable. :thumb:
1 3/4 inch drop of rear with this weight. Does not feel too much different.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
The great thing about the Escape's rear suspension design is that the rear suspension's camber doesn't really change much when compressed.

Some cars and small crossovers/SUVs, especially the CR-V, change camber so badly when loaded that the tops of the rear wheels disappear into the wheel openings.

:bill:

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Cool photo!

I had a load like that in my Escape about 2 years ago. I filled it with 50 or 60 16" x 8" red patio pavers. I think the load was between 800-900 lbs. The Escape drooped quite a bit and I definitely noticed the "nose up" feeling while driving. It wasn't like it felt dangerous or anything. It just drove different. I think I took a picture of it loaded. I'll have to see if I can find it tonight after work. I'm reminded of that trip every time I look at the scars on the plastic in the cargo area... :doh:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Billyk said:

The photo states it all. Thirty, 40lb bags of wood pellets inside my 2005 FEH. I hauled this load three miles to home without any incident. Yes the vehicle goes into electric mode with this "load". No it did not feel as if this load was too heavy. Yes, it appears at least five more bags of wood pellets could easily fit inside this vehicle's cargo area.
That would of killed my truck good job I need some shocks or a new Escape Hybrid.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Looks about the same as the luggage I have to load into our '05 FEH every time I take the wife + two daughters on a road trip!

:D

When I attended University in North Carolina back in the mid-80s I hauled so much back across the continent in the trunk & back seat of my Valiant that I cracked the rear leaf springs on both sides and had to resort to new shock absorbers with heavy duty helper springs to get her home to complete repairs.

:bang:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Billyk said:

The photo states it all. Thirty, 40lb bags of wood pellets inside my 2005 FEH.
I would suggest that this load, 1200lb, would
be very similar to towing a 1000 trailer. The
dynamics on the CVT transmission would be the
same.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
RobtRoma said:
Cool photo!

I had a load like that in my Escape about 2 years ago. I filled it with 50 or 60 16" x 8" red patio pavers. I think the load was between 800-900 lbs. The Escape drooped quite a bit and I definitely noticed the "nose up" feeling while driving. It wasn't like it felt dangerous or anything. It just drove different. I think I took a picture of it loaded. I'll have to see if I can find it tonight after work.
Forgot about this... I didn't find the pics then but I did tonight. There were 50 blocks so about 800 lbs in there:

The droop doesn't look that dramatic in the following pic but it was noticeable while driving:

·
Registered
294 Posts
cool photo!

I have loaded my escape up like that several times and i have discovered that if you fold down the rear seats and load the heavy stuff near the back of the front seats it will not droop as much because the weight is displaced evenly and i didnt notice an effect while driving except that it took more power to move of corse.

last year for a charity run and since i didnt have a pickup i stripped out the interior (removed the backseats entirely and the passenger seat) and loaded it up with unhulled walnuts in large tubs, i think i have a picture of it too. i know when i sold the nuts that i had over 600 lbs of hulled nuts and i know that the hull is 60% of a walnuts weight, so i had a VERY heavy load (1300 lbs total) and i know i drove thru some really ruff country with all that in the back and no problem other than i got 10 mpg doing it lol. I also noticed that the spring bumpers were directly resting on the bumping pads and would inturn not allow much suspension travel. these little trucks are very capable if you know how to handle them. To be honest with you my friend who had an older ranger pickup was worried about the weight in his truck thinking it would be to heavy for it then he saw how much i had in mine which was more than he was willing to carry in his and he told me was thinking of selling his and getting an escape lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts