Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 2003, is there a power outlet that stays hot only when the vehicle is on or is it always powered up? I want to get some plug in seat warmers but want it to go off when vehicle isn't running.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
12v "cigarrette lighter" will have a constant on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any suggestions for an acc 12V power source that I could wire a new outlet that is only hot when the vehicle is on?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
mcescape said:
Any suggestions for an acc 12V power source that I could wire a new outlet that is only hot when the vehicle is on?
It all depends as to what you have to connect.The radio source is a good place but not recomended for high amperage.
Drawing current directly from the battery through a relay and a fuse is the best way to go.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The relay route with an in-line fuse is always my preferred method, especially for high draw accessories. I get power directly from the battery and trip the relay from a powered line like the radio. :thumb:

·
Registered
836 Posts
That is always the best method. I do the same for my rear +12v power plug. The stereo remote runs to the relay which is is powered from a direct line to the battery, proper guage and fused. Then the proper guage runs to a rear fuse box that powers everything. In the back I have the relayed power running 2 amp remotes, a cooling fan and the 12v power plug. The key is proper guage and fusing. Plus the ground is all d-blocked so everything is safe, fused and gauged properly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts