Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have the 16 inch OEM alloys with the Michelin Latitudes. Can I put the OEM 17" chrome clad rims with the Cross Terrains without any issues or problems?

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
If you're picky, you can have your speedometer corrected to rear the proper tire rotation-to-speed output. Otherwise, no. Well, okay, as a second edit, I noticed you have an older Escape... but still, you should have no problem other than the slight difference in speed. Just do a tire circumference comparison to figure out what the percentage off you will be.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
You have 2007 written on your profile. So you can ignore the second half of my original message! :D

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
:D :lol:

So yeah, if you want to get your speedo reprogrammed for the 17" wheel, that will help, unless the tire size is different than the OEM 17+tire combo. Then you're on your own.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
IF the diameter of the wheels are the same then NO, you will be fine, no issue. If you go with 17's and a bigger tire then yes there will be a slight difference. In your question, if you dont do anything to the speedo then youll have to be aware of your difference in speed by memory.

drhart said:
The tire size and rim are both OEM. What will happen if I don't do any thing with the speedo?

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Oskerb pretty much nailed it on the head. Your car can't tell whether it is riding on 16wheel+tire or 17wheel+tire... dealerships are only able to program a car to whatever OEM setups are available. If you go to a different size combination, you're on your own.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I did the change from 16" to 17" chrome clad 3 months after I bought my 2010 xlt 6cly. It shouldn't be a problem IF they do it at the dealer themselves.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, thanks. Does the dealer calibrate the speedometer when they put the new rims and tires on? I was told by Tirerack that I'm within 1%(If my speedo shows 60 mph, I will actually be going 59 mph). I'd like my speedometer to be accurate.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
1010tires.com reveals the differences as

16" + tire = 90.94 inches tall

17" + tire = 89.56 inches tall

So about 1.5% shorter circumference / 1.545% too fast

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
See what they'll charge you for it. My dealership wanted $100.

Besides, you will be assuming you are going at speed but really you're going slower. No loss, right?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No loss is right. As long as it doesn't harm the vehicle, I'll just mount the rims/tires and enjoy. I wont be doing this until the spring but had to do the deal now as they would not be around when spring rolls around. Thanks everyone for all your input. Nice looking Escape there, Slick. Love those rims.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts