Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I got to ride in what has to be the coolest vehicle Ford ever made, a 1929 Tri-Motor Plane. From the information I read only 199 were made in total.

The EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) tours the country with this plane as a fund raiser kind of thing. I knew it was in town but really wasn't going to ride in it although I wanted to see it, but a few days ago as I was leaving work this rumbled over my head and cruised toward the airport, so I had to go ride in the thing.

It got my flying bug acting up again, I used to be a licensed student pilot but fell out of training when fuel prices soared sending high grade aviation fuel prices higher than the planes I flew.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:thumb:

How long was the ride? I can only imagine what kind of sounds three small plane engines make. We have those huge, four-engine C130 cargo planes flying around here once in a while, since the Niagara Falls Air Force Base is still open, but the engines on this Ford plane are much smaller.

That must have been some ride!!!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ride was about 15 minutes, I'd liked to have been out longer, especially paying to ride, but it was worth the experience. The flight was over a nice route, went over parts of town I was very familiar with, cool thing is I have aerial shots of where I work to show when I go back next week.

The sound was awesome, those engines ran very smooth and were not as loud as I expected but had a great rumble to them.

I took video, sound might not be great but it gives you an idea.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Wow! that was very kewl!! Thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
There is one on display at the Air and Space Museum in D.C. The tour guide said that the Trimotor was so noisy that if it were a few decibles louder the passengers would suffer permanent hearing damage :( . I'm guessing that you didn't realize how bad that thing sounds due to the racket you were already surviving... ;)

Still, it's good you got a ride in one. I'd jump at the chance for a 15 minute spin around the pattern. Like you, I quit the student pilot thing when I ran out of money the second time trying to get my ticket to ride. :bill:

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Nice!

I think that plane is mentioned a in couple of Clive Cussler books I've read.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I just ran your video at work for the guys to see. Nearly everyone wants to grab a ride on the old bird. Consider yourself envied... :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts