Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2.3L XLS has an odd sound, I think. I think it is a new sound, but I don't drive it enough to know (wife's car). So, I'm here to see if anyone can help me.

-There is a sound under the hood that sounds like a little super charger or a weedeater.
-It winds up as with engine RPMs. It becomes louder as the RPMs go up. It becomes most noticeable around 3000+ RPMs when driving.
-You can't hear the sound at idle.
-It makes the sound both in Drive and in Park.
-It makes the sound with and w/out the AC on.
-It isn't noticeable just cruising along.

It might just be a normal serpentine belt noise? Or, I think it is possible the AC or AC clutch is going bad. Would that make that sound?

I'm hoping someone else can just confirm this is a normal noise.

·
Registered
345 Posts
From memory I believe others have reported that a bad IAC can make a loud sound. I don't know if it's ever been reported on your particular model, but I guess you could clean it w spray solvent to see if there's any change. Install a new gasket if you remove it. If it is indeed the IAC, then it probably ought to be replaced.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a total noob so please excuse the dumb question..... Is the IAC directly tied to the engine/drive shaft or ran be the serpentine belt? I was thinking this would have to be something on the serpentine belt since it sounds like it is spinning in direct relation to the engine.

·
Registered
345 Posts
No, the IAC (idle air control valve) is usually located on the intake manifold somewhere.
On your car it may be under a plastic cover. I don't know if it's your problem, but your description sounded very similar to what a couple of others reported & fixed by replacing the IAC (I don't recall what particular vehicles, but they were Fords - Escape, Ranger or Focus or something). Something else may be causing the noise - I don't know, but cleaning & checking the IAC would be one thing to check if you can't pinpoint the location of the noise.

Escape 2.3L engine diagram.
(I don't know if this diagram is correct for your vehicle, since the year wasn't mentioned).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The noise seems to be coming from the belt side of the engine bay but down out of sight from the top of the engine bay.

If the IAC was having issues, would it affect the engine idle? The idle has been perfect with no stuttering or hesitation and gas mileage has been fantastic lately.

·
Registered
294 Posts
That sound you describe sounds like my intake i have on my escape (little s-charger) but its a good sound...lol

seriously:
A bad IAC will mean your idle will be off...sounds like you may have a pulley bearing going out/seizing, witch happened to my other car. Is the serp belt damaged in any way?
Is the AC compressor leaking oil? Mine made a sound like that before it went out.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If it increases with engine speed, I would say it's a bearing on one of your accessories that are run by the serp belt.
Alternator. water pump, tensioner itself, AC compressor.
Not sure on the 4cyl, but you might want to remove the splash shield from the lower part of the vehicle to access the area or side the belt is on.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
LX302 said:
If it increases with engine speed, I would say it's a bearing on one of your accessories that are run by the serp belt.
Alternator. water pump, tensioner itself, AC compressor.
Not sure on the 4cyl, but you might want to remove the splash shield from the lower part of the vehicle to access the area or side the belt is on.
+10

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree about it likely being a bearing going out, but I'm not sure which one. That at least gives me some guidance on where to have my mechanic look. It goes in on thursday and we'll see what they find.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an update. The odd sound like a bearing going out was a bad idler pulley.

Also, I had a bad sound for a while I posted about: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5763&p=99497#p99497

Turns out it was fixed by replacing the alternator. Some solid object was physically loose in the alternator and was grinding on things but only in certain situations. really odd.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now I think my tensioner might be bad. The engine/belt was perfectly quiet for a day or two after the repairs but now a new noise has started. It sounds like something is loose or maybe slipping. It isn't a chirp or squeeling sound. sounds like a sliding sound and it goes away with throttle/increased RPMs. When I open the hood, I get a very faint smell of burned rubber.

Any one have any other guesses?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts