Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I've seen on this and other forums, people always wanting to know an easy way to run a power wire through the firewall without drilling, I decided to do my own how-to.

I used 4 ga. power wire for my car audio.

First, find the hood release cable.

(sorry for the mess)

It doesn't look to complicated from the pictures, but the harder part is squeezing the wire through this grommet.

The grommet is pretty large on the interior side and its only as big as a single wire on the engine side.

What I did was use some electrical tape and wrap the end of the wire and a piece of a coat hanger together for something firm to push through the firewall from the passenger compartment.

(you will probably need two people to do this, at least I did)

1. After you have your power wire end with coat hanger, press it into the grommet just above the hood cable.
(You might even need plyers to help you force it in.)

2. The guy on the engine side should see where the power wire is making a bulge in the grommet. You need to slice the bulge where the power wire is so that the wire can get through.
(Dont make this slice too big, you probably want a somewhat air tight seal to keep engine and road noise out of the passenger area.)

3. Keep pushing from the inside. If your not making any progress, the guy on the engine side may have to cut the grommet a bit bigger. The guy on the engine side could also use plyers to pull once the wire has made it through the grommet.

4. Keep pushing and pulling and the wire should eventually be easy to bring out as much as you want.

(engine side)

(the hood release cable is under the power wire in this pic. I zip tied them both together)

5. Now run your wire to your fuse and then the battery.

That should be it.

If anyone has any problems or suggestions just let me know.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Excellent writeup Jordan! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Agreed!!! Very good pictures and diagrams. Nice Job!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since I usually take information from forums, I thought I'd add some this time. :thumb:

Next will be the speakers!

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Yeah I am the same way...i've always used so much information and never was able to give something back. So far on this new forum I have put up how-to's on installing a new exhaust and LED Tail lights. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I literally just did this on my 2011 Escape. The hood release latch is the grommet I used. Same procedure. Very easy, I might place some silicon around where I cut just to make sure no water can leak in

·
Registered
521 Posts
I went the same route when I installed my puddle lights.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First time to post ever, anywhere. If you have an automatic trans. look to the left of the brake pad on the fire wall and there is a nice sized grommet where the clutch would go thru.. Worked good on the 07 we got. I ran the wire for my ham radio gear. Hope to figure out how to post pics soon. Funny, I can talk around the world on a ham radio,but have a difficult time calling across town on the cellphone.
Tomk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Cool-I have a set of DVD headrests that are mounted,but don't have the power wire to them yet. I bought a distribution block,4 ga. wire,fuse,and the connector for the battery,going to try it tomorrow. This helps!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts