Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MidnightTribute asked me about a fog lamp wiring mod that was posted on another forum. This mod allows you to use the fog lamps at any time on your 2001-2004 Escape/Tribute/Maverick.

There's just one problem with the mod as it was shown on the other forum. If you use the instrument panel dimmer to dim the lights, the fog lamps won't work at all because the fog lamp relay won't get enough power. Also, wired this way and dimmed or not, the instrument panel illumination circuit will be loaded with the fog lamp relay, which draws enough power that it could damage that circuit. DO NOT WIRE YOUR FOG LAMPS THIS WAY.

This is the graphic that's circulating for this mod. I modified it for a reason: you don't want to wire your fog lamps this way.

DO NOT WIRE YOUR FOG LAMPS THIS WAY.

Here's the fog lamp wiring for 2001-2004 E/Mav/T models:

From the factory, the RED with BLACK STRIPE wire is connected to the low end of the high-beam circuit. All you need to do is cut this wire and connect the switch end of it to a circuit that supplies 12V with the key in the START/RUN position. The ideal circuit for this is the 10A circuit that supplies power to the instrument cluster and the 4WD switch, but see the end of this thread if you'd like to use the RUN/ACCESSORY key positions with the fog lamps.

Here's how to wire this circuit:
* Cut ONLY the RED with BLACK STRIPE wire, about 1.5" from the fog lamp switch connector.
* Cover the section of the wire shown by the white arrow with a thick layer of electrical tape. Make sure that this wire is securely wrapped and secured in the harness so that it can't touch ANYTHING.
* Connect the section of the wire shown by the red arrow to the DARK GREEN with LIGHT GREEN STRIPE wire in the harness highlighted below in red. You'll find this harness easily by removing the left-side kick panel and looking for four harnesses feeding out of the lower opening in the metal frame, as shown below. There's only one wire in that harness with this color combination.

Now you can use your fog lamps any time that the key is in the RUN or START positions.

If you'd like to use your fog lamps with the key in the RUN or ACCESSORY positions, connect the RED with BLACK STRIPE wire from the fog lamp switch to the LIGHT BLUE with WHITE STRIPE wire on the cigarette lighter connector. This may actually be easier to wire, but remember that your fog lamps will continue to run with the engine off and the key in the ACC position.

Finally, make absolutely sure that your connections are solid and well-insulated, and that the wires you run to other harnesses are secured from vibration and interference with moving parts. I prefer to solder connections like this.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Instead of cutting that wire, I would de-pin it from the connector, pry open the crimping and re-crimp it to your wire from the second harness with a small dab of solder - I emphasize small because without solder, that pin will be weak because you re-crimped it, but too much solder means you can't stick it back into the connector.

By the way, running fog lights with no fog around makes you look like a stupid jackass. Just sayin'. :tease:

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Squishy said:
By the way, running fog lights with no fog around makes you look like a stupid jackass. Just sayin'. :tease:
I see people around here doing that all the time !!! Makes no sense to me.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Squishy said:
Instead of cutting that wire, I would de-pin it from the connector, pry open the crimping and re-crimp it to your wire from the second harness with a small dab of solder - I emphasize small because without solder, that pin will be weak because you re-crimped it, but too much solder means you can't stick it back into the connector.
That's actually the way that I reconnect wiring, but I've never seen anyone else do that, so I never try to describe that to anyone. It does save one splice. The small dab of solder is important, since too much solder makes the wire inflexible at the joint, and any bends can break strands inside the wire.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I don't think too many people know it's even possible. The guys at the junkyard were giving me all kinds of weird looks when I re-pinned a Contour O2 sensor to fit the Escape. :bill:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:lol:

I used extra pins from a wrecked Escape's door connector for the Muth signal mirrors I had on my '05 Escape. Un-crimping those pins is actually easy. Walgreens' $1 screwdrivers for eyeglasses are perfect.

:thumb:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thanks for posting this Jpark, and squishy I can't speak for other people, but for myself I wanted this mod purely for the visual aspect of it, at a show I don't like having my headlights on, but having the running lights on, with fog lights gives it is lower, more aggressive look, which is why I was interested in having my lights configured as such. A lot of cars sometimes have a similar configuration from factory, but they call them driving lights instead of fogs, they are on as soon as your turn your lights on, but the headlights do not have to be on. Yeah thanks again.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you want to use the fogs with the engine off (and the key in the ACCESSORY position), wire them up to the cigarette lighter wire (LIGHT BLUE with WHITE STRIPE). If the diagrams are correct, the cigarette lighter will work only when the key is in the RUN or ACCESSORY position.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
MidnightTribute said:
Thanks for posting this Jpark, and squishy I can't speak for other people, but for myself I wanted this mod purely for the visual aspect of it, at a show I don't like having my headlights on, but having the running lights on, with fog lights gives it is lower, more aggressive look, which is why I was interested in having my lights configured as such. A lot of cars sometimes have a similar configuration from factory, but they call them driving lights instead of fogs, they are on as soon as your turn your lights on, but the headlights do not have to be on. Yeah thanks again.
Running them for a show is fine, which is why I didn't ban JP for posting this mod and take over as admin. :lol:

But running them on the roads is useless. Either they illuminate the area between your bumper and where your low beams start (to show lane markings in fog), or they are improperly aimed and are irritating to oncoming traffic at best, and blinding at worst. Driving lights are a different story, if they are labelled as such by the manufacturer. They have a beam similar to headlamps and don't cross over to oncoming traffic as much as the wide beam of fog lights do. Worst offenders seem to be F150s on country roads. Sometimes it's so bad that I flash my fogs at them and then hit them with all 330 watts of auxiliary lighting - what I like to call my "daytime switch". :lightning:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well I'm glad you did not ban Jpark because of it! But I do completely agree with you squishy, I don't know if it's just bad in Ontario lol ( I see you live in Orillia, I live in Caledon) but around here I see many cars running with fogs on all the time, I notice it almost all the time on Audi's and I can't figure out why lol.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Squishy said:
<snip> Running them for a show is fine, which is why I didn't ban JP for posting this mod and take over as admin. :lol: <snip>
And people wonder why I'm paranoid?

:bill:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
What about runnin your fogs WITH your headlights?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2005-2007 models use an entirely different lighting system. The fog lamp switch actually controls an SJB signal, instead of the fog lamp relay. That's why the fog lamps are always off if you turn the headlamps off and then on again.

The only way to have them turn on with the headlamps is to have a circuit provide a pulse to the SJB when the headlamps turn on. I could do that, if I'm properly motivated.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
But that would put this mod into stupid jackass territory and I would have to hold JP's Blizzards hostage until he removed all traces of this possibility from the universe. :bang:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:shock:

Blizzard deprivation is the ultimate in cruelty. That's so cold.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
jpark said:
2005-2007 models use an entirely different lighting system. The fog lamp switch actually controls an SJB signal, instead of the fog lamp relay. That's why the fog lamps are always off if you turn the headlamps off and then on again.

The only way to have them turn on with the headlamps is to have a circuit provide a pulse to the SJB when the headlamps turn on. I could do that, if I'm properly motivated.

JP why do you keep making your projects for me that much bigger? :)

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Because I'm keeping a tab. It's up to $500.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I'll arm wrestle ya for it :D

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You'll lose in less than one second. Trust me.

:D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts