Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removal and Installation

The fuel filter is located under the left side of the body, between the front and rear doors.

WARNING: Do not smoke or carry lighted tobacco or open flame of any type when working on or near any fuel-related component. Highly flammable mixtures are always present and may be ignited, resulting in possible personal injury.

:fire:

1) Relieve the fuel pressure.
* Remove the fuel pump relay from the Battery Junction Box (under the hood on the left side, C1051, shown below), then start the engine and wait for the engine to stop running.

2) Disconnect the battery ground cable.

3) Raise and support the vehicle.
NOTE: Place a suitable container below the fuel filter.

4) Disconnect the fuel lines to the fuel filter.

5) Loosen the clamp and remove the fuel filter.
NOTE: When the fuel lines have been disconnected, install new retaining clips.

6) To install, reverse the removal procedure.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I just did this today! thank you so much for this guide. The only issue I had was the fuel filter holds a crap load of gas and it sprayed/dripped all over. Luckily I was wearing my safety goggles :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
The book mentions to change the quick connect coupling too.
Also, here are the specs for tightening.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Did you get a Motorcraft filter or aftermarket? I'm curious if the one you installed had the correct clips.
The aftermarket fuel filters I've seen don't have the big clip & the auto parts stores around here don't carry the big clips.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I got a purelator filter form pepboys. It fit perfect clips and hoses fit like a glove. I used the same clips they were in great condition.

·
Registered
344 Posts
So, I guess you reused your old clips because the Purolator filter didn't have any or they were the wrong size?
Personally, I'd prefer to use new clips, since plastic gets brittle over time. I installed a Fram fuel filter: it had two small clips. Since the auto parts store didn't sell the larger sized clip, I doubled up two smaller clips on the big clip end which fit fine & the filter was secure. I wrapped them in electrical tape as a just in case, although it was probably unnecessary.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I used the same clips because they were in great condition. The filter had clips but I didn't use them. My truck hads only 30k miles on it. So everything is still in good condition under the truck.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Afterwards, I saw that you have a newer model, so your clips won't be that old. Someone w an older model who's been reusing the original clips (or doesn't really know how old they are), probably ought to use new ones. The shop manual says to replace them whenever the fuel lines have been disconnected.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 08 doesn't have the same little white retainer clips holding the fuel lines to the filter. I removed the metal clips but can't get the dang lines off the filter now. Any tricks? I don't want to just "pull really hard" since I'm worried I'll rip off the coupler. :confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Never mind. :) After much more research (and disbelief that Ford went back to the style of filter I had on my '94 F150) I found a tool to remove the "quick connect" fuel lines. Note to self, quick connect is only connecting fast. . .it should further read: "painfully slow disconnect without proper tool, but really quick to connect after."

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The previous poster talks about a disconnect tool. Whichk size did you use? Also this[YouTube][/YouTube] guide states 2001-2004. Is there any difference for 2005 +. I have a 2008 mariner 3.0 awd. Is pulling the fuel pump relay nessesary on this generation too?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
thesavo said:
The previous poster talks about a disconnect tool. Whichk size did you use? Also this[YouTube][/YouTube] guide states 2001-2004. Is there any difference for 2005 +. I have a 2008 mariner 3.0 awd. Is pulling the fuel pump relay nessesary on this generation too?

Thank you.
You will always want to pull the fuel pump relay, start the car to get the fuel and pressure out of the line. If you do not...it will be a very messy and maybe dangerous job. As for the tool size, not sure, I was able to use a screw driver and pliers.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I just changed the FF on my taurus. The front end disconnected ok. The rear was more trouble. I use a screwdriver to pry it off, while still mounted with the chassis.
So mostly the same procedure.

So this guide could be expanded out to 2011 fitment ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Do the fuel lines just pull off or do you have to lossen them up? It seems pretty easy to do and dont want to pay the hundreds of dollars it cost to get it done.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I just tried getting the lines off the filter in my 2008 Mariner 3.0L. I was using the "wrench" method. The lines would NOT pry off. I am going to HFT to pick up a set on Monday. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
387 Posts
thesavo - Yesterday, 6:58 am
I just tried getting the lines off the filter in my 2008 Mariner 3.0L. I was using the "wrench" method. The lines would NOT pry off. I am going to HFT to pick up a set on Monday. I'll let you know.
Another 2008 owner here that has the same style filter and in the same location. I have the fuel line tools, (quick disconnect type) from my 90's Ford trucks I owned. Now I just have to get the filter, BRB LOL! :lol:

·
Registered
103 Posts
thesavo said:
For anyone else it should be this one: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/access ... 46367_0_0_ at Autozone - Part Number: 25043

They have two tools, one is a 4-way and the other is the a smaller-sized 2 way, which is the one we need.

I did it and it was still a beeeatch even with the tool. You really have to jam the lip on the tool down into the tube-clasp-thing to get it to release.

I didn't try any of the cheaper plastic tools but I've gotta they would have to be at serious risk for breaking with the force you have to apply to get the line to disconnect.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts