Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a temporarily fix. I will post and more effi. way when i get my new lock and in and make manual with power lock together.

Pull back enough to insert you hand and go to the circle area and pull up on lock actuator

After you unlock and open the liftgate remove the four phillips screws

You can break the lock actuator arm off like did and run a coat hanger threw it like so

So you can lock and unlock until you can replace the actuator

Now put it back to together and and run the wire up next the window latch and just push down to lock and up to unlock
But leave the window up to test or leave the screws out to you can mod you to your likely

·
Registered
92 Posts
ha! very creative! my actuator was failing like every other day and i took off the panel on the inside and the next day it quit completely... i was lucky! my actuator is being shipped, should be in any day now, i'll take pics and post a DIY on it when i fix it

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I wonder if they improved the 08 and later actuators to the point that they don't fail? If not, I think I may be installing a little door in the interior panel of the Tribbie once the warranty goes off of it.

You did great! Truly thought outside the sandbox, and it works!

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I doubt it. I consider door lock actuators to be a wear-and-tear item that tend to go out around the 5-10 year mark, depending on how often you use the vehicle.

They usually give lots of warning, too. It will start with a few random cases of not unlocking when the button is pressed and get more frequent - that should still give you enough time to get the tailgate open and disconnect the actuator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts