·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shock Absorber

Removal and Installation

1. Remove the rear quarter trim panel.

2. Remove the upper shock absorber nut.

3. Raise and support the vehicle enough to relax the suspension system.

4. Remove the shock absorber.
^ Remove the lower shock absorber nut.
^ Remove the shock absorber.

5. To install reverse the removal procedure.

Parts
OEM Part
Price (Q1 2009)
Rear Suspension
Shock Absorber3L8Z-18125-BB
60.98​
Labor
Replace
Skill Level
Mfg. Warr.
Std.
Rear Suspension
One Side
C​
0.6​
0.7​
Both Sides
C​
0.7​
0.9​

·
Registered
46 Posts
hey

thanks for this!

if i don't have access to a torque wrench, is 18Nm slightly tight and 115Nm really tight? =S

·
Registered
1 Posts
how do you change the rear shocks ona 2005 ford escape locks likle you have to pull the paneling out to get to the top bolt. wonder if you could cut a hole above the nut and access that way, neil

·
Registered
22 Posts
My wife and I just did the shocks on our 05' Escape (FWD, 3.0) last weekend and you must take off the rear paneling. Trust me, I was thinking the same thing you were until I realized that the paneling is just held on by strong plastic clips. Just take your time and work them loose slowly, it will take a pretty big tug to get the big clips under the window loose.

At that point we had to remove the top nut, which of course is hard because the shaft of the shock also spins along with it when you try and remove the nut. I had to take the wheel off and allow a full droop of the rear suspension so I could get a pair of vice grips on the top of the shock right below the top of the wheelwell. Once I had the vice-grips tight I held onto them while the wife hit the top bolt with the impact and off the nut went.

Bottom nut was a breeze, just make sure you have a socket big enough or a big wrench/vice grip to take it off. I was lucky and had the right size in my deep-well impact set and blipped it right off. Don't forget anti-seize on the threads on all your bolts for the next person who works on it!

The first side took us about an hour or so to figure out what we were doing, the second side took about 15 minutes from start to finish :doh:

Hope that helps, not a difficult job at all!

·
Registered
46 Posts
KS Escape said:
My wife and I just did the shocks on our 05' Escape (FWD, 3.0) last weekend and you must take off the rear paneling. Trust me, I was thinking the same thing you were until I realized that the paneling is just held on by strong plastic clips. Just take your time and work them loose slowly, it will take a pretty big tug to get the big clips under the window loose.

At that point we had to remove the top nut, which of course is hard because the shaft of the shock also spins along with it when you try and remove the nut. I had to take the wheel off and allow a full droop of the rear suspension so I could get a pair of vice grips on the top of the shock right below the top of the wheelwell. Once I had the vice-grips tight I held onto them while the wife hit the top bolt with the impact and off the nut went.

Bottom nut was a breeze, just make sure you have a socket big enough or a big wrench/vice grip to take it off. I was lucky and had the right size in my deep-well impact set and blipped it right off. Don't forget anti-seize on the threads on all your bolts for the next person who works on it!

The first side took us about an hour or so to figure out what we were doing, the second side took about 15 minutes from start to finish :doh:

Hope that helps, not a difficult job at all!
Yea the rears are pretty easy if you have the right equipment haha. i tried to do it but gave up. went to the mechanic with all my rear panelling out and he just changed both shocks in less than 30mins! so i didn't have to pay too much for labour as well.

cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts