Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removal and Installation

1) Disconnect the battery cables.

2) Remove the right intermediate axle shaft.

3) Remove the right lower splash shield screws and the pin-type retainer.

4) Rotate the accessory drive belt tensioner clockwise and remove the accessory drive belt.

5) Remove the nut and position the bracket and wiring harness aside.

6) Remove the upper generator mounting bolts.

7) Remove the lower generator bolts and position the generator aside.

8) Remove the generator mounting bracket bolts and remove the bracket.

9) Remove the generator electrical connectors.

* Remove the B+ nut and cable.
* Remove the connector.

10) Rotate the generator to gain clearance, and remove through the opening in the fender well.

11) To install, reverse the removal procedure.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Has anyone been able to take out the alternator from an 01 - 04 3.0L Escape without removing the right intermediate axle shaft? For me it makes the difference between me doing it and sending it to the $hop.

Thanks for any info or help

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I have never heard of anyone replacing the alternator without removing the axle...

·
Registered
39 Posts
hello,

I just did my alternator in my 02 last month. I can tell you no you have to remove the shaft to get enough room to get the alternator out of the engine compartment. I did it in 4 hrs, but I also have back problems and carpal tunnel in both wrists so I had to work slowly and methodically. its well woth doing your self, the pep boys by me wanted 600 to do it and other shops were similar and higher. i hope this helps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I took it into the $hop this monring. We'll see what they have to say $$$

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
If you're worried about not having the right tools for the job, Canadian Tires around here will let you borrow 'special' tools for free, like the special pullers and such - maybe even that big (30 mm?) socket for the hub nut.

Make sure you have alternative transportation in case something goes wrong and you have to go out and get more parts or tools.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I chickened out and let the mechanic do his thing.
He supplied and installed a Bosch Alternator
All tax in $450.00

·
Registered
30 Posts
450$ thats not bad at all! mine went and they wanted 500$ to do it and 180$ for the new one.
I got it at pepboys for 180 and did it myself there was 3 bolts holding the "alternator bracket" on that were a real pain well 1 of them was anyhow. then the alternator wouldnt fit out the opening. i had to take a motor mount half way off and jack the engine up to get it out. I swore i would never do it again. and 2 weeks later same thing!
"was still under warranty with receipt pepboys replaced it no questions asked"
i "HAD" a real fancy radio 7" touch screen GPS hard drive the works and when i would turn it on my lights would dim and the engine would idle up if i left my radio on with engine off it would kill the battery in less than 10 minutes. i took it out when i put the second alternator in and it never happened again.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Squishy said:
If you're worried about not having the right tools for the job, Canadian Tires around here will let you borrow 'special' tools for free, like the special pullers and such - maybe even that big (30 mm?) socket for the hub nut.

Make sure you have alternative transportation in case something goes wrong and you have to go out and get more parts or tools.
What kind of "special pullers and such" are you talking about?? I have to do this and don't have the $600.00 to pay to have it done. :censor:

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
I use a set of needle nose plier on the outer CV boot and seperate the hub from the intermediate shaft this way no special tools needed (Mark your shaft alignments so the three bearings go back into the socket the are used to running in). Remove the lower strut bolts and swing the brake rotor out of the way.

You need to remove both the alternator and the alternator bracket on the block to get it out. Otherwise you have to release the left motor mount and jack up the engine. PITA!

I got it down to about two hours now!!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I got my escape and no longer then like a mounth later the alternator went out...we ended up going in to get the sockests(needed to get the altornator too xD) but did any one else have promblems pulling the thing out???? then after all that we had to take the pully off the altornator and put it on the rebuilt....taking a nut off something that spins in that direction......yeah.... :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: but once i finally got the thing bk in and all said and done it runs like a charm now :) glad i saved the 500 dollors xD

·
Registered
9 Posts
Replaced my alternator over the weekend, and figured I would post my experience. I had to change my spark plugs also, 101k on factory plugs. After removing the intake manifold (which takes a good 20-30 minutes) I was able to shimmy the alternator up the back of the engine. It takes some twisting, turning, pulling, and cussing, but it came out. I needed a second hand to hold wire harnesses and hoses off to the side while I worked the alternator out of there. Getting the alternator back in was much easier. Got both done in under 5 hours. Suspension wise I only had to remove the wheel and the splash shield.

The intake manifold is a tedious job. Just make sure when you remove things like the egr valve you put the bolts back in the empty holes on the intake manifold. This will make installation much quicker and easier and you wont lose anything. :rockon:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am so pissed off right now...Who puts a darn alternator down there buried like that? I am half way through the job and stuck at the park were the alternator is suppose to come out were the axle was, but it will not come out? I did everything I was suppose to but am stuck :bust:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow thanks I think that will solve my issue.. The darn book didnt have it

Surfscape said:
y.

You need to remove both the alternator and the alternator bracket on the block to get it out. Otherwise you have to release the left motor mount and jack up the engine

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thanks Surfscape for mentioning the Bracket removal. I had to replace the Alt in my former 04 Escape and didn't read the book first and ended up removing the axle and manifold. To make the frustration even worse. the ALT that I purchased was bad out of the box! :censor: :wall: So I had to put the failing one back in to drive back to the store and change it out! I mad sure they tested the other new one before I left the store. I then said there has got to be an easier way to do this and consulted the copy of the factory service manual. It was easier but I probably flipped and rotated that ALT for twenty min. until it came out! :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
yeah after the hours and hours it took for the first change out of the alternator I think I could do it in about 1 1/2 hours now. I replaced the spark plugs, cleaned the IAC, replaced the ball joint, sway bar links, and also the mass airflow sensor 138$ :confused: with a 78 dollar core charge. The escape runs very nice now like I just drove it off the showroom floor

1 - 20 of 30 Posts