Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following applies to a 2001 to 2003 Ford Maverick / Escape.

Other years and models may be similar, please check before commencing any work listed below,

Ok, want to save some serious $$$$.......

Do you wish to prove Ford wrong, when their mechanice says..."You will have to get a new axle!"

Well, here goes.

The problem..

Does the ABS system activate nearly all the time, even when not braking, giving a pulsing sensation on the brake pedal.

Mine did, and replacing the pads and discs didn't cure it, but closer inspection revealed that the sensor ring had cracked :rant: :rant:

Went to my local parts factor, whom said it was a "Dealer Only" part, went to the dealer, to be told that "you cannot replace the ring, you need a new front axle at the cost of £1250.00 :shock:

Screw that, a trawl of eBay.com got me 2 ABS actuator rings, posted to me in Britain for £40.00.

So, how do we replace the rins, when even the Haynes manual doesn't show it.

Simple, just follow the following instructions...

1/ Remove the wheels centre plastic cap, and loosen the wheelnuts.

2/ Using a breaker bar and socket, crack the centre hub nut loose, but don't remove it yet.

3/ Jack the car up, and place on a axlestand (Or similar, depending on whats available to you).

4/ Remove the front wheel.

5/ Undo the 2 brake caliper mounting bolts, then remove the caliper, and support it with a piece of wire etc, to prevent it hanging by the fluid pipe.

6/ Remove the brake disc.

7/ Undo the 2 bolts on the strut, and remove them (located by where the screwdriver is on the picture below)

8/ Undo the trackrod end nut and swing the rod to the side (refer to picture below)

9/ Remove the central hub nut, then push the spline through the hole.
This sounds simple to do, but in reality is a pain to acheive, as it tends to be a very tight fit, so place the nut back on the spline, and hand tighten 3/4 on, then put the socket back on the nut, then hit it with a hammer, it will move very easily, and NOT damage any components.

10/ you can now remove the ring, then using a wire brush and emery paper, clean up the area where the ring is located.

Now the car should be looking like this..

A closer look..

11/ Now put the new ring in situ, it will require some gentle taps with a hammer to seat it firmly home.

12/ At this point, you may wish to cover the metalwork around the ring with paint, antirust treatment etc to prevent rust forming and cracking the ring again at a future date.

Then, you can start to reassemble the components in reverse order.

On completion, make sure that all the nuts and bolts are torqued correctly, and take the car on a roadtest, everything should work ok.

Then sit back, have a coffee and a ciggie, and reflect on how a couple of hours work has saved a serious amount of cash :woohoo:

Hope this helps somebody, any questions etc please pm me or post on here...

Finally a comparison between the old and new rings..

Spot the difference :calvin:

·
Registered
82 Posts
What size is the axle nut? 34mm?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just reused the old one, as there is'nt a locking thread on it, but from memory I think it is 34mm

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
camusdarrach said:
I just reused the old one, as there is'nt a locking thread on it, but from memory I think it is 34mm
I do believe that the hub nut is a self lock nut.Otherwise there would be a cotter pin used which there is not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to post a reply to camusdarrach thanking them for this.

I just did this repair on my '06 Escape and once I got the wheel off I knew exactly what to do from there.

Thanks, man! This was hugely helpful!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Great article, and will probably save a lot of money...I have no doubt of that. But in all the pictures provided, I don't see where the tone ring is actually situated. Is it on the hub? On the axle itself? The pictures don't show the old one in place. Did you remove it before you took the pictures?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hiya.
From memory, the tone ring is situated at thetop of the fluted part of the driveshaft, (which can be seen dangling to the right of the picture).
If you have a look behind the front wheel of your car, it can be seen very easily.
Not the most technical of explanations, I know, mayb JP, or Squishy have a better explanation, or indeed diagram to show it's location.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rehctelf said:
Here's a pretty good pic showing placement of the tone rings.
(Hotlinked - not mine)

Hope this helps.
Cheers for that :thumb:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I recently had a tone ring issue with my 2007. Took it in to the dealer and it was covered under my extended warranty, only cost me $100 deductible and it covered my rental car I had for the day!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts