·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(click on thumbnails to expand)

Fog Lamp Bulb: Service and Repair

FOG LAMP BULB

Removal and Installation

WARNING: The halogen fog lamp bulb contains gas under pressure. The bulb may shatter if the glass envelope is scratched or if the bulb is dropped. Handle the bulb carefully. Grasp the bulb only by its base. Avoid touching the glass envelope. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

CAUTION: The fog lamp bulb should not be removed from the fog lamp until just before a new bulb is installed. Removing the bulb for an extended period of time may affect fog lamp bulb performance. Contaminants may enter the fog lamp where they can settle on the lens and reflector. Never turn on the fog lamps with the bulb removed.

NOTE:
Make sure the headlamp switch and the ignition switch are in the OFF position.

1. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist.

2. Remove the 4 front fender splash shield bolts.
- To install, tighten to 5 Nm (44 lb-in).

3. Remove the 4 front fender splash shield pin-type retainers.
- Position the front fender splash shield aside.

4. Disconnect the fog lamp bulb electrical connector.

5. Rotate the fog lamp bulb counterclockwise and remove the fog lamp bulb.

6. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Parts
OEM Part
Price (Q1 2010)
Fog Lamp BulbYL8Z-13466-BB
18.73​
Turn Signal Bulb: Service and Repair

SIDE LAMP/FRONT TURN SIGNAL LAMP BULB

REMOVAL

1. Remove the wheel and tire.

2. Position the inner fender well aside.
(1) Remove the bolts.
(2) Remove the pin-type retainers.
(3) Remove the screw.
(4) Position the inner fender well aside.

3. Remove the lamp socket from the lamp assembly.

4. Remove the bulb.

INSTALLATION
1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Parts
OEM Part
Price (Q1 2010)
Front Turn SignalYR3Z-13466-AD
5.30​
Rear Turn SignalF4CZ-13466-A
2.33​
Labor
Replace
Skill Level
Mfg. Warr.
Std.
One
C​
0.4​
0.5​
Two or More
C​
0.5​
0.6​

·
Registered
370 Posts
is there a way to take off the headlight covers? i got muddy water inside them, and would like to clean them out.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try removing the headlamp assembly and rinsing it out with water. Make sure you let it completely dry before reinstalling.

If that does not work, you will need to "bake" the headlamp assembly in an oven to soften the silicone adhesive, allowing you to remove the lense cover. I do not know the specifics of this procedure; maybe someone else can fill you in.

You can find headlamp removal instructions here: http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1735

·
Registered
23 Posts
do i really have to remove that wheel and tire just to change the side bulb thats retarded as hell...i wanted to changed them all to leds but that one is going to suck...

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, it's a pain, especially with those clips that like to break apart. I don't know what's wrong with the designers - on some cars you even have to remove the bumper cover to change the headlight bulb. I helped a guy with a 300M where you have to remove the bumper cover simply because they put in a decorative peak between the low and high beams (preventing you from tipping the headlamp forwards as can be done with other models). He needed a 12-inch extension to remove one of the bolts - who has that? Luckily, I had bought something from him on Kijiji and had my toolbox with me when I went to pick it up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
UPDATE! I didnt have to remove the wheels and tires or jack up the vehicle (05 mariner) to change the side lamp bulbs all I did was turn the wheels all the way left to get the top screws and then all the way right for the lower! pulled down the plastic inner liner and twist the bulb in and out now i have leds all around!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Do you have to remove the tires to remove the fog light bulbs (ie - getting the inner wheel fender off)?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might have to if you want to see inside. If you are confident enough to stick your hand in there to feel around, then no; just turn the tires to gain room to peel the splash guard back.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It is easier to remove the drivers side fog light bulb than the passengers side, i recently discovered this, and you dont have to remove the wheel/tire to get to them as long as you dont mind sticking your hand in there and fiddling around.....
for reference, the 4 front fender splash shield bolts are all 10mm

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it is, and I have changed the title to reflect that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What if your Escape didn't come with fog lights....When I bought my 05 Escape, I looked to where the fog lights should be and all I see are rubber inserts and no lights. I suspect that someone may have cut them out because I see a strand of wires that look like they've been cut?

I would have to double check and disassemble the splash guards to get to them. But is it hard to install my own pair of fog lights?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not sure about the 2005s, but my 2003 required me to cut out the fog light opening in the bumper - it's not a rubber insert. The 2001-2004 Escapes have the factory wiring present, you just have to buy a fog light switch to get power to them. The 2005-2007 Escapes do have the wiring there, I think, but you need the dealership to activate fog lights in your SJB.

·
Registered
64 Posts
what do you think the dealership would charge to put in fog lights?

and do you think it would be worth it?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have no idea what they would charge. If you live in a foggy area or find yourself driving in snowstorms at night, then they are worth it. If you just want them for looks, in my opinion, they're not worth it and look ridiculous when used in clear weather.

·
Registered
64 Posts
thanks for the reply!!!

I guess if it doesn't cost too much, I'll go ahead...but I've driven without fog lights for a month and a half now during this horrible weather and I've been ok, so I could go either way with them

all depends on price :)P

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just the switch? I thought the 2005+ had to get them enabled in the SJB. Bah, I'm so rusty. :bag:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts