Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

2001-2008 Automatic Transmission Dump & Fill (With Pictures)

7K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  GoRomeo 
#1 ·
A quick guide on how to change your transmission fluid:

Drive the car up on ramps:

Remove Drain Plug. Here is it's location:

Drain old fluid into a bucket. The fluid gushes out quite fast so be ready. Around 4 Litres or 3.8 Quarts comes out.

Replace plug:

Fill will Mercon Spec fluid (In some cases Mercon V)

Pour new fluid into dipstick hole.

Check the fluid level and you're done! ;)

The old fluid has only been in there 20,000kms (12,000 miles) It had already turned quite dirty.

Changing the tranny fluid is easier then changing your engine oil.
It took me 1 hour and cost me $19 AUD. (Cheaper in the US)
It's cheap insurance :WW
Hope this helps someone out.

See less See more
#3 ·
thats awesome! and on a side note. (not to hijack) but my shop just purchased a transmission flushing machine!!! woohooo. now all i got to do is buy the ford fluid. no more $200 flush and fills.

#8 ·
If less than 3.5 litres come out that means that the transmission had less oil than required.
Tribbys method is good for replenishing, somehow, the transmission oil.A good procedure to follow at every time you change the engine oil.For a complete and thorough change of the transmission oil a different procedure is required.

#13 ·
I guess Jiffy Lube was getting lawsuits filed against them for doing that a few years ago.

I'm surprised its okay, I have never ever heard in my life to change it so regularly. I've been told by many people its bad. Maybe its just on certain transmissions?

#14 ·
Ford is notorious for early transmission death. Changing the fluid is key to a happy ATX. However, it isn't a good idea to make the 1st fluid change @ 150,000 miles. That is not recommend.

But a new topic might be better than a howto, for this kid of discussion.

#15 ·
Tribby said:

<<< DELETED IMAGES FROM QUOTE - ROBTROMA >>>

Changing the tranny fluid is easier then changing your engine oil.
It took me 1 hour and cost me $19 AUD. (Cheaper in the US)
It's cheap insurance :WW
Hope this helps someone out.
HI there do you have to add the new oil when car is on or off? Thanks

#16 ·
You can do it both ways,just be careful if doing it while engine running not to get caught in any moving parts..Then of course you check it when engine is running and warm and on a flat ground...

#17 ·
jbone2470 said:
You can do it both ways,just be careful if doing it while engine running not to get caught in any moving parts..Then of course you check it when engine is running and warm and on a flat ground...
Thank you. The steps on this thread are the same for the 04 escape? How come some people here mentioned something about removing a plastic cover? I dont see one on these pics.

#18 ·
SUVord said:
If less than 3.5 litres come out that means that the transmission had less oil than required.
Tribbys method is good for replenishing, somehow, the transmission oil.A good procedure to follow at every time you change the engine oil.For a complete and thorough change of the transmission oil a different procedure is required.
I also did this, and only about 2 litres (UK litres!) came out.
Strange, because beforehand, the dipstick level showed quantity right on the band, where it should be.

I started wondering if the European spec 'Mavericks' (US Escape) had a smaller tranny volume, although this particular 2001 model was made in Kansas.

Perhaps the quantity was low (and old) hence I had shuddering, and the dipstick read is not accurate/reliable.

Unfortunately I overfilled with 4 NEW litres, thinking this was about how much was in the drain-tray, and knowing it should take 10 litres overall (according to the manual), and then the idea was to top-up from there!

Another thought was that not all of it came out, but the shuddering seems to have gone.....

Does anyone know what happens if it has been over-filled?

Many thanks.

#19 ·
Here's what I do. I drain the tranny and get three and a half quarts out of it.[ It will be dark red in color]. Proceed to add three new quarts of Mercon V after reinstalling the drain plug. I drive the Escape for about ten miles to make sure the new fluid is mixing with the old fluid. I then drain another 3.5 quarts out of the tranny and now the mixed fluid comming out looks lighter red. After reinstalling the drain plug[ don't forget to seal the plug threads] , I pour 3.5 quarts of new Mercon V into the tranny. That's how you do an oil exchange without a 4,000.00 piece of equipment. It's probably not a perfect fluid exchange, but I'd bet it's 90% better than it was. And I'll take those odds all day!

#20 ·
My escape had the trans serviced regularly. Then my brother and sister had it for about 90k so I'm not sure if it's been changed since around 100k (it's got 190 now). Do you guys think that'll kill the trans if I change it. I've heard horror stories about people changing the fluid after it not being changed for 100k plus and it causes instant death. What about if some changes have been skipped?

#22 ·
Tribby said:

Drain old fluid into a bucket. The fluid gushes out quite fast so be ready. Around 4 Litres or 3.8 Quarts comes out.
The Escape CD4E Automatic transmission hold about 10.5 quarts or 10 liters of transmission fluid. Gravity draining removes less than half of the transmission fluid. There are other Escape-City postings that provide the How-To drain/replace all the transmission fluid.

#24 ·
hi guys,

I am planning to do this tranny flush to my wifes 04 Auto Ford escape with about 70k miles. We bought this SUV back in 06. I dont think tranny fluid has ever been changed. I recently went to do oil change and the guys at the shop suggested in changing Tranny fluid and Power Steering fluid. They wanted over $350 dlls to do this job but I would like to do it myself to save money.

Can you describe what do I need besides Jack and ramps

I live in US

Tranny Fluid: what kind? Mercon V?
How many quarts do I need to buy?
How much fluid should I expect to take out?

Thanks!

#25 ·
Hi,
I found this:

Ford Special Service Message 16896:
SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGES 16896
2001-2004 ESCAPE USE ONLY 'MERCON' -- NOT 'MERCON V' OR 'MERCON SYNTHETIC' FOR THE CD4E TRANSMISSION ALL 2001-2004 ESCAPE VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A CD4E AUTOMATIC

TRANSAXLE EXCLUSIVELY USE 'MERCON' FLUID -- NOT 'MERCON V' OR 'MERCON SYNTHETIC'. MERCON IS THE ONLY FORD APPROVED AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE FLUID FOR USE IN THE CD4E.

MERCON FLUID PART # IS XT-2-QDX (QUARTS) AND XT-2-DDX (55 GALLON DRUM). FOR CANADA MERCON FLUID PART # IS CXT-2-BM FOR BULK, CXT-2-4LM FOR 4 LITRE BOTTLES, AND CXT-2-

LM12 FOR 1 LITRE BOTTLES.

Also check this page - look down to page 4 under Ford.
http://www.carquestprofessionals.com/ca ... .10.13.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.