·
Registered
397 Posts
Very good tutorial, thanks guys.
It's on my "tado" list her on my Escape pretty soon. :thumb:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Still confused. Some details are missing. You drain out 3.9. Then put 7 NEW qts in. When do we start the engine? About half way putting in the 7 qts? Do we move it through the gears? How long do we let it run? Then i read we drain out 6 qts. What if we pass 6 qts? I'm assuming that's dirty oil so we will dispose of that. Then we put 4 NEW qts and we're done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
AWESOME!!!!! this was so easy. i did it with 12 quarts of valvoline mercon V. everythin went well and fairly clean. did great job getting all the gunk out.

i drained the pan first, 3.9 quarts out and 4 quarts in. dont forget to wipe off the plug!!! its magnitized and it builds up with all the gunk shavings from gears.

after that i did the steps listed above.

good luck!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
There seems to be 2 ways to do this. Who's right?? :?

·
Registered
26 Posts
either way is right. i wanted to drain the pan first so i can clean the magnet that collects all the shavings. this magnet is on the end of the pan bolt or what ever you want to call it. after you drain 3.9 quarts add 4 quarts. then do his process of 2 qrts out shut off, then 2 qrts in. do this untill fluid is bright red. took me 12 qrts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
fire911 said:
AWESOME!!!!! this was so easy. i did it with 12 quarts of valvoline mercon V. everythin went well and fairly clean. did great job getting all the gunk out.

i drained the pan first, 3.9 quarts out and 4 quarts in. dont forget to wipe off the plug!!! its magnitized and it builds up with all the gunk shavings from gears.

after that i did the steps listed above.

good luck!!
Careful! I'm as green as they come (just bought a 2005 Escape) but already I'm reading to avoid Mercon V at all costs unless you know they used Mercon V in the factory.

Here's a thread from another forum talking about it: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/46817 ... ost3507155 (says some dipsticks are incorrectly labeled)

And Escape City's Common Problems thread mentions it under "Transmission Shudder": http://escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=259#p2931

According to these guys you need to remove that Mercon V and put in plain old Mercon before you start having problems. Can anyone back me up here? Like I said, I'm new.

Edit: What is the current consensus on using Mercon V when the dipstick says Mercon? I've noticed that a lot of posts on this are outdated, and this thread claims the Motorcraft variety was reformulated in 2009 to make it OK as a Mercon replacement. The Common Problems thread was created in 2008. I am so confused.

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
0Escape5 said:
SNCF said:
When doing The prowler-patented 7-6-3®

-engine should be warmed?
-car position should be normal horizontal or lift up the front ?
- in any step of prowler-patented 7-6-3 start engine or run it through the gears?

Do we need a new drain plug?
is it with seal?
Is automatic transmission drain plug the same size/type like in engine oil ?

Thanks
I would also like to know the answers to these questions, as I am at 89K miles and never changed any of the fluids (Transmission, Power Steering). I was considering taking it to a dealership to see if they woudl recommend a fluid change or a full flush (as long as they don't power flush and use the transmission's own power to cycle through the fluid), but after reading this post it seems as though I could do it myself. I am still on the fence because I have not experienced any real issues with the trans slipping but I do want this to last at least another 50K miles. My only reason for taking it do a dealership was they have more knowledge about the transmission and what the right route to take is. I thought I would seek any advice here about whether I should even bother with changing/replacing the fluid because of the high mileage. Any help would be appreciated!
I would love to know these answers also!

In addition, for clarity, can someone point-out the drain plug?

I have looked underneath, and any number of bolts, threaded holes etc etc could be it, but WHICH?!

Many thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I got my 2002 with no service records. I have heard, if there was never a transmission fluid change, its best to not touch it. So I figure since I don't know if there ever was a change I wouldn't touch it. Is that right? Almost 160k miles on mine..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd still drain and refill the MERCON from your 02 Escape. I did my first drain and refill on my 01 Escape at 88K back in 2008 and is still running strong at 169K today. I did the draining through the transmission cooler return line since I also installed Magnefine in-line transmission filter at that time(you have to remove under 4 inches of the coolant return line to install the in-line filter). I bought SUPERTEC ATF fluid (MERCON) from walmart for the CD4E tranny in my 01 Escape. I did replace the Magnefine filter couple years back. I am planning on doing one more filter and drain/fill before end of this summer to ensure she'll reach the 200K mark by 2015 ;) !

·
Registered
72 Posts
I did the transmission fluid swap today on our new to us 02 Tribute 4X4 V6, it just turned 96K ... I did my own version of drain, and pump ... I took a lot of pictures for those unsure, or who just need the pictures to build confidence to do it themselves!

I drove up on ramps, look underneath and find the drain plug just to the left of center (driver's side)

It has a female square drive plug

Just takes a 3/8" drive ratchet, I used an extension ...

This is the tail end of the drain ... at first it kinda gushes ... have a pan that will catch 4+ quarts! This doesn't look too dirty, but once it is in a jug ... look below for a comparison to fresh & clean!!

Here is the drain plug out, upside down

I wiped out some of the black gunk that was on the bottom of the plug ...

Continued ...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I took a gallon of new fresh fluid, and dumped it into a clean, dry water jug for comparison sake, here it is on the right, the fluid I drained out is on the left, not quite a full four quarts!

Here is another picture, inside, as the light was getting low outside

I then put the plug back in, and put in five quarts of new fluid, I then went back under, and removed the plastic shield. The picture below is marked wrong! It is actually the LEFT front tow hook/hole! (driver's side!)

Has a few (7) 10 mm headed bolts, one of mine was actually a Philips headed machine screw (the one farthest back by the anti-sway bar :? )

Here it is off the car, on our 02 Tribute it is only on the Left side

·
Registered
72 Posts
Find the transmission cooler lines mentioned in post #1

Take off the clamp, and separate the rubber line from the steel ...

I had my wife start the car, and idle ... I drained off about two quarts ...

I then had my wife shut off the car and I added two more quarts, and we flushed again this time put in reverse for five seconds, then, drive, then back to park ... we did that twice ... in all we took out 12 quarts, and put in 12 quarts ... I did it the way I did because I did not want to take out too much at one time ... and if I did it the way the OP did, as only taking out two quarts, means that there was two quarts left in the pan, which would mix with the new ... It was not a complete 100% swap ... but it is definitely a lot cleaner, and we can't see what is actually inside ... here is the first jug on the right that I drained out of the pan, beside the last jug we drained out ...

I kept the pan under the jug, to catch some drips, since I was overfilling the transmission by one quart, a tiny bit would leak out the steel line, and make a mess ... but not much in the pan.

They did not have all of the same fluid, but both were Mercon ... I put the High mileage in last ...

Notice what it says about the fluid?

Cost about $70 for the 12 quarts ...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just did a fluid change on my wife's '02 Escape using a case of Sam's Club ATF fluid (made by Amalie) along with JWS's excellent suggestions and it was easy, quick and made a big difference in the transmission's performance. (Was original Mercon fluid @98K miles and VERY dark.) Some of the mounting screws for the plastic shield did break but that was relatively easy to take care of -- after 12 years of rust-belt driving some corrosion is to be expected.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did this yesterday and I did not have to remove any plastic cover. Good! I only jacked one side, placed it on a jack stand and thats it. Loosen the drain plug drained 4 qtz and added for quarts Mercon. Easy job! Planning to do this again with my next engine oil change. Thanks to this forum! :clap:

·
Registered
72 Posts
We just hit 5,000 miles from our last drain & flush (the one with all the pictures!)

This time I drained 4 quarts, added 6 ... Started engine and had my wife put on the brakes and shift into R, then N, Then D, then back to park, while I had a jug on the cooler return line, drained out 2 quarts ... Shut off engine, added 2 more quarts, repeated the above ...

I also removed the in-line filter I added last time, and put on a new Magnafine filter ...

Surprised how dirty the fluid was!

New fluid on the Left, 5K mile on the Right!

21 - 40 of 49 Posts