Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm an original owner on a 2001 Escape with about 75 k miles on it. Last night I opened the hood to refill the washer fluid and when I shut the hood, the latch would not catch. I checked to see if the latch was open to recieve the latch hook, and it was. I tried to force the latch closed using a large screwdrived but the latch will not stay down in a locked position. When I pull the latch from the interior, there is no resistance and there is slack in the cable leading from the cable.

Has anybody else run into this? I so is there an easy fix?

Do I need to replace the atch or the inter latch system (including the cable)?

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is an old topic, but it just happened to me.

There are two springs. The top one is larger than the bottom one. If neither is broken, you can lube the latch mechanism and get the latch to pivot and close properly.

However, in my case, the lower smaller spring broke off on the latch mechanism, and I had to order a new part on Ebay.
The Ford part number for the latch assembly for 2001-2007 Escapes is 6L8Z-16700-B.
It will cost about $50-$60.

·
Registered
510 Posts
A quicker way would be to go to a wrecker and grab one, they dont wear much but sometimes rust, so you can repaint them or look for a newer looking one.
They are an easy DIY job, I dont think there is any adjustment anymore, just 2 bolts (10mm I believe) and wiggle the cable out and your done, literally less than 5 minutes providing the hood opens lol. If yours looks better then swap the spring, or maybe you have an extra spring laying around, I have a large can full of various springs, you can also modify springs to suit your needs, bending a new end, etc., but you want to be as close to the original as possible otherwise things sometimes dont work right.

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
The larger spring provides the hood 'bump' when you pull the release handle.

You should be able to replace the lower spring with something similar instead of a complete new assembly. The HELP section in auto parts stores might have one, or you can search their catalog on line.
A boneyard part would also be an alternative, or a spring sourced from a hardware store. All that small spring does is hold the mechanism under tension to catch the 'sear'. I think. Didn't look that close.
I do not know if the spring is available from Ford separately.
tom

Went on the web and looked at youtube posted by makeuloco. He explained what the small spring does, and how it will keep the latch from latching. His example needed lube, and a freed-up lever & pivot.
It seems almost any spring that will fit should work as long as it moves the lever back into normal position when the cable pull is released.
Worth a look.
tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts