Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the forum, I'm a newby here.

I just called the local Ford Dealer and they want 25 bucks apiece for the rubber exhaust hangers that hold up the exhaust system in two places... for me that means I'm not cutting them off as previously planned. These are rubber isolators that push over a rod with a conical "arrow head" at the installation end. Once in place they don't really want to come back off.

Any of you managed to get these off without destroying them? How'd you do it? :shrug:

Thanks.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Fox9p3400 said:
Use a rubbersafe aerosol lube on the hangers and then pry out partially over cone head with screwdriver. then use huge channel lock pliers to pull off.
+1000
exactly the same way i got them off of ltl'red, just watch your fingers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you... guess I'll have to spring for the gargantuan channel locks now! I tried a couple of different pry bars and couldn't get the little arrow part inside the hanger to then pull it through. I'll give it another shot in the morning. I appreciate the advice. It's nicer to tackle these things when you know someone has succeeded!

Bill
Minden, NV

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After reading the suggestions I went out and got under the car with my waterpump pliers and decided that brute force wasn't the solution for me.

Since I had a bit of steel and a welder available I kludged up this tool for removing the rubber exhaust system hangers from their arrow like mounts. Perhaps this will be a help to some other arthritically challenged old guy! :rockon:

Tool - dismantled

Tool - ready to be driven between the rubber hanger and the metal "stop" on the mounting rod.

Tool - Configured as it would be used to force the rubber over the stop at the end of the mounting shaft. Bolts to hold it together have been removed and the longer "separator" screws have been put in place to push the rubber hanger down the shaft from the stop.

The tips of the long screws have been pointed to "ground" themselves in the smaller hole on th back half of the "wedge".

Worked like a charm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts