Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all.
This is my first post on this forum and I need some help with my Escape. Let me give you the story.

Lady had this car since new. Now it has 164000 miles on it. It developed an oil leak and her friend "rebuilt" the engine for her. After rebuilt engine will crank, but won't start.

I bought a truck from her for little money, hoping I can fix it.

So I started checking things around.

1) Fuel pump. It spins little when you turn the key to start. When I was doing the compression test there was a really bad fuel smell from engine. So I assume that pump is ok.
2) Compression: #1=185 #2=195 #3=215 #4=185 #5 185 #6=185
3) COP's. Tested every one of them with a spark plug in it - spark on each 6.
4) Spark plugs: all of them are black with ashy black stuff on them.

My friend (he is professional mechanic) said since the compression one one head is so different - the timing is messed up.

I started close engine inspection to determine what was made to car by the "rebuilder": valve covers were removed, front engine cover was removed, camshafts have white marker marks on them.

I took off both timing chains and re-set the timing as described in manual. Put all covers back and tried to start the car. It would start for a second and than would die. So it's not the timing :(

Now I need some ideas what to do next to put escape back on road. What you guys think?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Do you know if the fuel filter was ever replaced? If not, then after 164,000 miles that thing must have a ton of crud in it. Maybe the fuel pump is working, but can't push fuel to the engine because of the clogged filter. The filter is basically under the driver rear door and is very easy to get to. It just seems like you've already confirmed everything else is working.

Other than that, I don't know. You've gone past my realm of knowledge, but best of luck to you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some more update on the car.

I checked the compression again: numbers are still different :( Do not know what to think. I installed new spark plugs and cleaned IAC valve.

Car has started!!!!

But it runs like a junk :( Whenever I add more throttle engine will die. Here is a video of the truck starting and running.

What I should check next?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Have you checked the fuel pressure? It should be 35-65 psi. Your car should have a schrader valve on or near the fuel rail for easily connecting a test gauge.
Other stuff to check: Airbox/filter/duct installed correctly & not damaged or cracked.
Bad coil or bad spark plug.
No vacuum leaks, good vacuum lines, no open vacuum ports...
Good brake booster - vac line connected & no vac leaks....
A/C vent vac line (there might be a line that goes thru the firewall to the a/c controls).
EGR system (although I'm not 100% sure, if the egr valve is stuck open, the car will stumble or maybe won't start)...
DPFE sensor defective or clogged - seems kinda common but from what I've read it's more problematic under acceleration (not startup or idle; it's part of the EGR sys).
PCV valve & tubing.

Hopefully, the exhaust system isn't clogged, particularly the catalytic converters. If the exhaust is clogged, the engine can't "breathe"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hurk said:
Have you checked the fuel pressure? It should be 35-65 psi. Your car should have a schrader valve on or near the fuel rail for easily connecting a test gauge.
Other stuff to check: Airbox/filter/duct installed correctly & not damaged or cracked.
Bad coil or bad spark plug.
No vacuum leaks, good vacuum lines, no open vacuum ports...
Good brake booster - vac line connected & no vac leaks....
A/C vent vac line (there might be a line that goes thru the firewall to the a/c controls).
EGR system (although I'm not 100% sure, if the egr valve is stuck open, the car will stumble or maybe won't start)...
DPFE sensor defective or clogged - seems kinda common but from what I've read it's more problematic under acceleration (not startup or idle; it's part of the EGR sys).
PCV valve & tubing.

Hopefully, the exhaust system isn't clogged, particularly the catalytic converters. If the exhaust is clogged, the engine can't "breathe"
I checked the fuel pressure today - 65psi.

Airbox and and all lines are installed and hooked up properly.

No vacuum leaks - with engine running sprayed from different angles with carb cleaner - RPM's had not changed.

Checked Throttle Position Sensor - good and working properly. No error codes in the computer.

Coming to conclusion that car computer is bad. Will tow it to dealer in couple days and let them do the troubleshooting.

It has 2 computer boxes under the center dash. One made of plastic mounted close to firewall. Another one is metal, mounted lower. Which one is the engine control module?

·
Registered
191 Posts
LX302 said:
Just trying to come up with some ideas, ...
Same here.... This is a tough one... I'm just a guy who owns an escape. In regards to the fuel pressure, you may also need to check the fuel flow. Apparently, you can have correct fuel pressure, but inadequate flow - One thing that comes to mind would be clogged injectors. I don't know the specifics, but, basically with a pressure tester setup installed, fuel is collected in a container within a certain amount of time, then the amount is measured. Just a guess, maybe one pint per minute?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Looking and hearing to the video the first thing I would check is for leaking injectors since you already have mentioned strong gas smell from the engine compatment after some failed attempts, in other words the engine is flooding.
Before you turn the ignition key step fully on the throttle, all the way to the floor.After you have done that turn the ignition on and give it about 5 to 10 seconds for the engine to fire up.Do not repeat the procedure before you wait for another 10 to 15 seconds for the starter to breath.
If it does fire up don't let the throttle off for a second and see if the revs go higher than 1500.
If that happens your injectors need servicing or replacing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts