Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I had the transmission rebuilt and it has around 33,000 miles on it. I'm getting P1744 code and I have a shop manual so I se what is suggested could be the problems. Now when I I leave the transmission with the overdrive turned on this is when the code shows up. I can can turn off the ovedrive and it runs and shifts good from what I can hear and feel and so far no codes have showed up. So I was wondering could this just be the solenoid problem or could it be a more serious issue. I know the torque converter was most of the problem before it was rebuilt as it sounded like the starter was still engaging but I am not hearing anything like this now.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Your valve body has worn (most likely) and is allowing the torque converter clutch to slip when it's supposed to be locked. It's going to take replacement of both the torque converter and the valve body to fix it. Probably isn't worth it for an over 20 year-old car.

Pressing the OD CANCEL switch disables the torque converter lockup. You can drive the car just fine like this, the downside is that the engine will run faster by 200-300 RPM at cruising speed thus using more fuel.

[Edited - fixed typo in the "RPM" numbers]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your valve body has worn (most likely) and is allowing the torque converter clutch to slip when it's supposed to be locked. It's going to take replacement of both the torque converter and the valve body to fix it. Probably isn't worth it for an over 20 year-old car.

Pressing the OD CANCEL switch disables the torque converter lockup. You can drive the car just fine like this, the downside is that the engine will run faster by 200-2300 RPM at cruising speed thus using more fuel.
Thank you for the info.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I would be on my way back to the transmission shop for a bit of discussion. If you had converter problems 33k miles ago, did they replace the converter? If so, unless it has slipped enough to damage the friction material, it may be warrantied. If the valve body is worn enough to cause the slippage SHO described, it likely didn't get that way in 33k miles.
In short, I am suggesting that you were sent out the door a short 'distance' ago with parts that were not in tip-top condition. IOW, they don't wear out in thirty thousand odd miles. Or shouldn't. IMO. The shop may differ in their opinion.
tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts