Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was told I need to replace my GEM module. Does it need to be programmed by the dealer Of can I just get one from a salvage yard? Does it need to be the same year and part number? Any Help is appreciated

·
Registered
179 Posts
You'll need a scanner capable of reading & writing As-Built data.

A good inexpensive choice is www.forscan.org. Read their forums. Buy their recommended adapter. Request a free 2 month license. Find the GEM in the software and read the As-Built and save it. I would also take a picture of the screen. Next, install the new (used) GEM and compare the As-Built data. If they are the same, leave it alone, and you're done. If not, you can upload the data from the old GEM to the new GEM, or edit it manually.

The GEM part numbers must match. The last one or 2 letters are updated versions.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
436 Posts
Yeah I can read the codes
You should be able to see your GEM asbuilt data subsystem then, you need to record the information off of it before you remove the module(YT how to swap GEM in 01 Tribby)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ok, so are connected to the vehicle. Half the battle is over. When connected to the vehicle, click on the left side box that looks like a computer chip. All the modules should be listed with As-Built next to the module name. Double click GEM As-Built. Should look like the picture I posted.

Rectangle Azure Font Software Screenshot

·
Registered
229 Posts
And you still haven't gone back to your original thread.

You'll have to decide whether to follow directions and provide useful feed back or else just take it to a shop that knows what they're doing and pay them to fix it.

Good luck...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Go back to my original thread? No one had posted anything else for me to try otherwise I would have already done that. And as far as following direction I csn do that as long as someone gives me direction. And as far as your shop idea, ford didn’t know either

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Go back to my original thread? No one had posted anything else for me to try otherwise I would have already done that. And as far as following direction I csn do that as long as someone gives me direction. And as far as your shop idea, ford didn’t know either
Have you tried pulling codes again?

·
Premium Member
436 Posts

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
And you still haven't gone back to your original thread.

You'll have to decide whether to follow directions and provide useful feed back or else just take it to a shop that knows what they're doing and pay them to fix it.

Good luck...
My friend, I don't want to give you a hard time. I understand your frustration.
I just wanted to mention that I thought it was pretty awesome that Doc was actually trying to take care of his car, and not just drive into the ground and throw it away…

I applaud anybody who is willing to get their elbows greasy, and actually try to figure stuff out in today's age of a throwaway society.

my mother sure got upset when I took apart her vacuum sweeper when I was nine…

but she later realized she never had to call a service technician again after I did. ( :

Cheers to all the kids who got into trouble for taking stuff apart! lol

peace SHO

I appreciate you being a part of this community. you know your stuff.

let me know if you have any input on crypto, and NFT ( :

this new school of money/intangibles is throwing me for a loop… I am studying a lot

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Yes I have but I will try doing all that again.
Did you by chance take a screenshot of the prev modules as-read information, to make sure it matches what you've uploaded?

I think you're on the right path, to start at step number one, and go back through it all again

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
I didn’t take a picture but I uploaded a copy to my computer
Be meticulous, check all the boxes doc ( :

bummer it wasn't 'easy' bro

1 - 20 of 30 Posts