Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 XLT V-6 and when I am stopped with my foot on the brake, my oil light flickers. Wondering if anyone else is having (or had) this problem, and what do do about it.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Have you checked your oil level?

·
Registered
67 Posts
haukap8 said:
I have a 2001 XLT V-6 and when I am stopped with my foot on the brake, my oil light flickers. Wondering if anyone else is having (or had) this problem, and what do do about it.
The good news is it could just be a faulty sensor. The bad news is that it could be a lot of things. How many miles are on the vehicle? Oil lights usually trigger at low (6 PSI or less) pressure, so check the oil pressure with a suitable gauge when the car is hot. Anything below 30 PSI could be worn bearings - switching to a heavier oil (5W-30) might delay the problem for a little while. Check the coolant levels and pressure while you're at it - it could also be signs of a failing head gasket.

Is the engine stumbling or shuddering, or is it idling smooth and steady? If the engine is stumbling, fix that first (could be the throttle body or idle air control valve needs cleaning). What are your engine RPM's like? If engine RPM dips to 500 or so, it could also trigger the light - suspects could be a dirty or clogged fuel filter or fouled injectors.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I know in the '08 service guide it states if engine light flashes it is something that needs to be repaired ASAP. Looking through my book, it doesn't state a deff answer. good luck and better to be safe then sorry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.