Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On trying to identify a "brake chatter" fault on my Maverick, I noticed a possible cause.
The n/s lower brake caliper bolt ( the one that requires a 7mm allen key to tighten/loosen) has a damaged head.
Can you get just the socket capscrew as a replacement part, or do you have to purchase the entire caliper assembley?????

i think that this could be the cause, as the discs appear from all my testing/cleaning to be ok, but if I cannot tighten the lower n#s caliper bolt tightly enough, there is obviously some play happening, causing the Brake chatter effect. :rant:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would take the bolt to your local fastener/bolt shop and see if they can replace it. Not home hardware or anything like that, but an actual fastener shop where all they have is nuts, bolts washers etc.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hey, I get brake chatter on my 02 Escape when braking lightly and never thought to check those bolts. That's a good idea you've got! I've had a mechanic tell me that my brakes are in very good condition and I've looked at them myself to find that they have plenty of material left.

Anyway, an auto parts or hardware store should have what you need. If you can't get the old one out, you can try a screw extractor kit or try using a Dremel to cut a slit in the top of the head and removing it with a slotted screwdriver.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts