Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Ford Escape. When shifting into drive the transmission will not engage. No feeling of vehicle locking into D. The engine will just rev. Reverse works fine. The vehicle drives perfectly if I start in 1st, shift to 2nd then put in drive. The vehicle will continue to drive perfectly even when I come to a complete stop and leave it in drive. If I shut the vehicle off I have to manually shift it to get it to move again. While driving the vehicle shifts perfectly. Transmission fluid is full and clean. No Check engine light. Scanned anyway, no codes. I feel like it's a sensor or solenoid issue but don't want to just throw parts at it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Look up shifter alignment , there is a way to set the lever movement on the column via the cable to the auto box shifter plate , that's all i got but it looks like your drama , give it a try before anything imo .
Somebody with more experience might pop in here :unsure:

·
Registered
150 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the shifter alignment. Leave it alone.

Proper diagnostics with a pressure gauge would be recommended for a definitive diagnosis but it sounds like either a worn valve body or a mechanical issue with one of the solenoids on the valve body. As worn valve bodies on the CD4E are all too common, I'd lean strongly in that direction.

Out of the four Fords that I've owned with the CD4e transmission, only one survived my ownership not having transmission failure (despite routine fluid changes), all of them centered on different valve body problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking it may be a solenoid issue but everything I've read says I would have a CEL to accompany that...it's frustrating because the transmission is working and shifting perfectly...it's just that I have to almost "trick it" into doing so. Also if it is a mechanical issue it doesn't really make sense, in my mind , that it would function normally until turned off and restarted....do you think a valve body issue would account for all that?

·
Registered
150 Posts
The lack of a check engine light or "codes" is not definitive. If the PCM detected an electrical or functional transmission test that failed, it should have flashed the O/D light, not necessarily the check engine light. Further, Ford's transmission codes won't be read by the entry level code readers. It is necessary to use a scan tool or equivilient that explicitly supports "manufacturer-specific" codes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts