Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance if I am asking a question already asked. The information seems to be ever changing and I want to make sure I am doing this right. I have a 2002 Ford Escape with an automatic cd4e trans. I have read that you should use Mercron only, which is no longer licensed. I also read that you can now use Mercron-v as it was made backward compatible. I just bought this truck with 70k on it, and the fluid has been changed once around 50k. I have no clue what is in there at this time as far as fluid. My questions are this. Can I use mercron-v? Also, can the 2 be mixed at all? I dont want this trans to fail, and I appreciate your help. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay so I was just at walmart, and picked up a few gallons of DexronIII/Mercon ATF. It says not to be used in vehicles requiring MerconV. Only for use in vehicles requiring Mercon. My Escape is a 2002, which requires mercon right? I am having the shudder issue, and want to change it ASAP. I just bought this truck, and really cant afford a transmission now. Compatibility and durability wise, is this decent fluid, and will it work okay? I plan on regular drain intervals after this flush ( I am going to try the prowler method I think.) Thanks everyone in advance for your help!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
you will get mixed opinions on this. I have a 2005 and went to the ford dealer and got Mercon V which says it is a replacement for Mercon and works with Mercon V transmissions. Did you read your owner manual to see which fluid is recommended for your year of transmission? It should tell you there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the 02 from my understanding was supposed to have Mercon from the factory. My dipstick and book both say mercon. I need to change it but I am nervous. I dont want to replace the transmission.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Whichever fluid you use, do a complete fluid exchange. I prefer Prowler's method in post #2, but they will both work. Your Escape originally came with Mercon fluid, but the dealership likely put Mercon V into it. Reports of failures after Mercon V is added have pretty much stopped in the last few years, so I assume Ford did whatever was necessary to make the new formula compatible.

·
Registered
463 Posts
When Mercon V came out I called an engineer at Chevron (I used to work for Gulf Oil) and asked him if it would work. He said it would, and would be better for the life of the transmission because it is semi-synthetic. The synthetic oil was added to make it flow better when cold. I owned 2x 95 Contours and a 2003 Tribute. When I flushed the systems I replaced it with Mercon V. I also installed it in a 98 Ranger and a 2000 F-150. All of them run fine, in fact, the transmissions were a little bit smoother. I'm now running it in my 2006 Escape.
Another thing I noticed with my Contour is the fluid stayed red much longer. I change mine about every 30,000 miles. The high heat in Texas is hard on lubricants.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So is there any difference in protection between Merc and MercV? I have a little bit of shudder starting so I would like to go with the one that provides the best barrier against the dreaded shudder. I plan to swap out 4 quarts at each oil change for a while.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Mercon V is better in all aspects. The only problem was what appeared to be a link between the original Mercon V formulation and CD4E failures. Haven't heard much about it in the past few years, so I assume all has been fixed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts