Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I recently purchased a 2002 Ford Escape from a private individual, and I have been in the process of going through and fixing all of the minor things wrong with it. (Got it at a good price) So since I haven't owned an Escape before, I haven't seen which items are suppose to be lit up and have backlighting. So, I was wondering if the following items have backlighting or not:

1. Power Mirror Switch
2. Driver Side Master Power Window Switches (Right now, only the switch for the driver window lights up, but the other switches do not) Also, the power lock switch does not light up.
3. Passenger side power door lock switch
4. Cruise Control Switches (Both the On / Off and the side with the RSM/Set etc

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Zach

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Power mirror switch - No

Power window switches - My 2003 switches light up if the window "lock" is in the off position, and only the driver's window switches light up if the windows are locked.

3 - Not sure

Cruse control switches - No

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. That is amazing to me, that Ford does not have backlighting for the Cruise Control Buttons. Maybe it's just getting used to driving the Escape at night, but I have a hard time remembering which switches do what for the Cruise Control.

As far as the Master Power Window Switch Goes: When the Window Lock is "Not On" meaning all windows can be opened from from that specific seat, the only thing that lights up on the Master Power Window Switch is the Driver Side Window. All other switches are off. When the Window Lock is "On", meaning only the driver can control the windows, the driver window switch is the only one that lights up, but all of the other window switches (Passenter Front / Rear and Driver Rear) go out.

So my question is this: With the Window Lock "Not On"; should all of the window switches on the Master Power Window Control be lit up?

Also, should the Lock / Un-Lock switches be lit up on the Master Power Window Control, and the Window Lock Switch for that matter?

Lastly, could you look on the passenger side lock switch to see if yours is lit up or not?

I know this may seem minor, but one of my pet peeves, is backlighting that is not working correctly. I don't know why, but it is. From reading the first reply, it seems like I might need to purchase a new Master Power Window Control Switch, but I would like to verify before I spend the 50 dollars.

Thank you in advance!

Zach

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have an 02 as well and I'm pretty sure I have ever seen only one of the buttons light up, but I can't remember which one. I don't get why the others (or the steering wheel cruise controls) don't light up at all.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Ford was the first to use LEDs in backlighting, so I wouldn't be too hard on them.

If your 2002 doesn't have lighted window and lock switches, you can swap the switch assemblies for the ones used in 2003-2007 models, and they will light up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jpark
That's good info to know. Thank you very much. Does the same hold true for cruise control switches? Can I swap them with a newer set and will they fit / light up?

Thanks

zach

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
No North American Escape, Mariner, or Tribute had lighted cruise controls until the 2008 redesign. The cruise controls on 2001-2007 models have stamped white letters that can't be lighted.

When I had my Escape, I was going to try to buy and install a newer Windstar steering wheel. It has the same type of mount as the 2001-2007 Escape, as well as lighted cruise and audio controls, but I never got around to it.

BTW, the 2008 and newer E/M/Ts use a different type of mounting mechanism, so they can't be retrofitted to the older models.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jpark:

Thank you for your quick reply. I really appreciate all of the information! I am going to go ahead and purchase the Master Power Window control for my 2003.

By the way, you wouldn't happen to know where I can find the plastic piece that snaps into the backside of the steering wheel, would you? It's the piece that covers two connectors and the bolt to remove the steering wheel? I called Ford and they said I had to buy the entire wheel / Air Bag, and that I can't just get the replacement piece.

Zach

1 - 11 of 11 Posts