Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to upgrade my factory non-mach 5 CD head unit on my 2003 Escape XLT Limited. I want a head unit that takes up the whole slot so it looks good. I am looking at the FH-P8000BT which is a pioneer head unit:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... FH-P8000BT

However, according to Crutchfield it will not fit in my Escape. I came across a a thread over at Escape-Central where the guy wedged it into a 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid by shaving some plastic off:

http://www.escape-central.com/1forum/sh ... genumber=1

And so I was wondering if I could do the same with a 2003, any suggestions?

As another question, can anyone suggest a double-din head unit that puts out great sound, has ipod/USB stick connection and preferably XM? I have Memphis Car Audio speakers that handle 50w and the stock sub in.

Also, how difficult is it to replace the sub?

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was reading crutchfield says it "wont fit" because its not a direct drop in. you have to shave off the edges on the dash trim.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In terms of mounting kit, would I still need one? And will this make it much harder to terminate with the wires since its not made for the car?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
All aftermarket receivers follow the same wiring principle. Also the how-to of this job is on the forum, in nice pics and all that.

You are good to go!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I love Pioneer. I installed the AVH-P4100DVD unit. It really brought the stock speakers to life. I can't believe how much more power the stock sub seems to have. It won't win a contest but I'm very happy with the results. Can't go wrong with Pioneer. I managed to find it at the right time and only paid $374 with shipping.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yea crutchfield will say it won't fit because its not a direct drop in. The wiring is no different than a normal h/u. Just get the vehicle harness to wire up to the h/u's one. That way you don't have to go splicing into your vehicle harness. The kit and method you need for the install can be found in many threads in this audio section.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts