Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my drive to work today, I noticed that my headlights were on, but the switch was in the off position. Last night I went for a drive, and they shut off when I shut the switch off. The switch essentially does nothing, and they are stuck on. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Wow...two similar problems in one day!

The main headlamp relay is probably stuck shut. This can happen if the arcing on the relay contacts is intense enough to "weld" the contacts together. You can probably tap the relay to turn off the headlamps, and it may never happen again.

The relay is located inside the Battery Junction Box ("Headlamp Relay"), under the hood near the driver-side fender and battery:

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... 004bjb.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Is it possible you have daylight running lamps and never realized it? :shrug: If not then just go with JP... he's "the man" when it come to electrical issues :yes:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
The check is in the mail, Rob!

:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's been a long 2 weeks. My lights are still not shutting off, and turn off about 10 seconds after I lock the car. Is this some sort of setting that could be corrected? I first noticed this a few days after I had my subwoofer/amp put in. I know with my saab, all of that could be changed by hooking the car up to the OBD II tool and changing the settings. Could disconnecting the battery during the install have something to do with this?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
If they turn off 10 seconds after you lock the car, they're set to automatic. And if they never shut off while you're driving, you might have tapped into the wrong circuit when installing your amp.

Do you have an owner's manual?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do have an owners manual. As far as installing the amp, I had it done at a store. it's tied directly into the battery terminal. If I go to the dealer (I'm getting some things checked out) would they be able to change the setting to turn off automatic? There isn't a dial for automatic, as I have the light switch that's on the steering column, and only offers off, amber, or on.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Did you own the car since new? Im asking because my wifes car was modified by the rental company that we bought it from. They modify the wireing to make the headlights stay on at all times(for safety) and shut off with the car. So the head lights are always on and the switch does not function. I think it was National Car Rental. They started this in the 90's to prevent car accidents. You can check it by putting the Escape in Park and pulling the emergency brake, this should shut the lights off if it was modified by them.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I think that Jpark has the right idea. :thumb: You did check the relay right? I cant imagine it could be anything else other than a faulty switch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts