Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been dealing with an annoying rattle for the last two years on my 2004 Escape XLT. It was coming from the moonroof area. I figured it was the air defector that pops up when open. But that wasnt it. After tapping on things banging on the ceiling for 20 minutes I figured it out and fixed it in one minute. When you slide the moonroof shade open it hits a support brace and that brace was loose. There are two torx screws that hold it in place. So all I did was put the moonroof in the vent position. then used a torx bit (not sure the size but I know it was one size smaller than ones that hold the glass on the tracks) on a ratchet and tighten the screw. It's a tight fit but it should fit between the glass and the bracket. Hope this helps anyone out there that has a moonroof.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hi there,

we've been dealing with an overhead noise and have a sunroof. would you describe the noise you heard as a "ticking" type sound? did you notice it more in cooler temps?

thanks

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just started this winter. started that way. but you can check it out easily. Just open the moon roof shade till its about a inch or so from being completely open. then reach your fingers over the edge and you'll feel a support that goes from right to left. That's what rattles. You wont be able to get it rattle, but you will be able to make it move up and down a 1/16th of an inch or so. If its loose, there is a torx screw on both sides of the bracket that you can tighten. hope that's it! Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts