Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(click on thumbnails to expand)

Front:

1. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist.

2. Remove the brake caliper clip.

3. Remove the 2 brake caliper dust boot caps.

4. Remove the 2 brake caliper guide bolts [9 mm Allen key]
-To install, apply brake lubricant, tighten to 35 N.m (26 ft-lbs) on disc-drum system.
-To install, apply brake lubricant, tighten to 45 N.m (33 ft-lbs) on 4-wheel disc brake system.

5. CAUTION: Do not allow the brake caliper to hang by the brake caliper jounce hose.

Remove the brake caliper and support the brake caliper to the vehicle.

6. Remove the inboard brake pad from the brake caliper.

7. Remove the outboard brake pad from the brake caliper anchor plate.

8. Using a C-clamp or spreader, slowly retract brake caliper piston back into caliper.
- To install, slowly retract brake caliper piston using a C-clamp or spreader

9. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

For rear drums, follow the instructions here.

Rear (discs):

1. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist.

2. Remove the 2 brake caliper guide bolts [7 mm Allen key, thanks MichaelJD1980]
-To install, apply brake lubricant, tighten to 35 N.m (26 ft-lbs)

3. CAUTION: Do not allow the brake caliper to hang by the caliper jounce hose.

Remove the brake caliper and secure the brake caliper to the vehicle.

4. Remove the inboard and outboard brake pads from the brake caliper.
- To install, slowly retract brake caliper piston using a C-clamp or spreader

5. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Parts
OEM Part
Price (Q1 2009)
Front Pads
Without Rear Disc Brakes4L8Z-2001-AA
106.98​
With Rear Disc Brakes6L8Z-2001-A
77.73​
Rear Pads6L8Z-2200-B
76.45​
Labor
Replace
Skill Level
Mfg. Warr.
Std.
Front Pads
B​
0.6​
0.8​
Rear Pads
B​
0.6​
0.8​
Both Front and Rear
With Rear Drum Brakes
B​
1.2​
1.6​
With Rear Disc Brakes
B​
1.0​
1.3​
NOTE
To R&R Parking Brake Cable, Add
Right Side
B​
0.0​
0.3​
Left Side
B​
0.0​
0.4​
Both Sides
B​
0.0​
0.5​
To R&R Rotor, Add
Front
One Side
B​
0.2​
0.2​
Both Sides
B​
0.3​
0.4​
Rear
One Side
B​
0.2​
0.2​
Both Sides
B​
0.4​
0.4​
To R&R Caliper, Add
Each
B​
0.0​
0.2​
To Overhaul Calipers, Add
Each
B​
0.0​
0.3​
To R&R Brake Hose, Add
Each
B​
0.0​
0.1​
To Adjust Parking Brake, Add
B​
0.0​
0.1​
To Reface Rotor, Add
Each
B​
0.0​
0.4​
[td][/td]

·
Registered
62 Posts
If I could add to this...

I just did the fronts on my '06 XLT. The caliper guides require a 9mm allen wrench and the caliper plate requires 18mm socket. I had to go to 4 stores before I found a 9mm allen wrench. Ended up getting it at Lowes.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the extra information.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First, thanks for all the info, will make my life easier.

Anything special that needs to be done for removing the rotors, particularily the rear, other than removing the 2 bolts and brake caliper anchor plate?

Aaron

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did both the front and back rotors/pads on my 2005 escape limited on the weekend. My front caliper guide bolts were 7mm. When I did the backs they were also originally 7mm, however some of the bolts sheared off when I attempted to remove them. The replacements were 6mm. The rear rotors do not require anything else removed besides the caliper guides.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
62 Posts
Aaron if you removed everything and the rotors still wont come off...I had to use a hammer on my front ones. Haven't done the rears yet. Not sure if that is the recommended way but they came right off after a few beats of the hammer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Attempted to replace front brake pads on my 2006 Escape (regular 4 cylinder version) and encountered tamper proof caliper bolts. (Bolt with the little post in the middle in the internal wrenching bolt). You guys say I need either a 9mm or 7mm allen wrench from reading this post. What do I do now? Sears sells torx sets that are rated like L45 (whatever that means) that are built for tamperproof bolts. Really appreciate advice from those that have done this before - thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was totally wrong on my post above - using a mirror and bad eye sight led me to this incorrect conclusion (I can't figure out how to edit my previous post so please use this for clarification) - the bolts are standard 7MM. Sorry for the bad question

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just did the brakes on all four wheels on my 2005 Escape Limited (V6 AWD, Rear Disc). My Escape was an early 2005 (built in April 2004). The caliper bolt on all four wheels was a 7mm allen.

I also replaced all four rotors in the process. These were the original pads and rotors after 80,000 miles. The rotors were a real pain to get off... penetrating oil and the big hammer were required.

Thanks for the How To... it helped me out.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I decided to bleed the brakes today on my '10 Escape XLT - it's only about a year old, but I go based on mileage (every 30k miles), and based on the test strips I have, the fluid wasn't in perfect shape, either.

Anyways, the bleeding itself is straightforward - I was lucky enough to get my wife to be my "pedal-pusher", while I did the rear wheels - each bleeder can be opened with a 9mm box wrench. It's when I got to the front wheels that things got difficult.

The bleeder screws are slightly larger than the back ones, and a 9mm wrench was too small. Unfortunately, a 10mm wrench was too big, so I thought, "weird - maybe it's an imperial unit wrench". Well, a 5/16" wrench was too small, a 3/8" wrench was close to fitting, but it ended up rounding some of the edges of the bleeder.

So, ultimately, I ended up using a locking pliers to get the bleeder open, but not before I proceeded to round off the bleeders. Next time I do the bleeding, I'm going to need to be sure to replace the bleeder screws, but I wanted people to be forewarned that apparently there are no standard wrench sizes that fit these bleeders, so be prepared...

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Now, that is very peculiar.
On my 2004 V6 Maverick all four wheel bleeders are 10mm.And all the cars I've owned myself since...the Big Deluge had the same size all around.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
SUVord said:
Now, that is very peculiar.
On my 2004 V6 Maverick all four wheel bleeders are 10mm.And all the cars I've owned myself since...the Big Deluge had the same size all around.
Yeah, I know. I'm just ticked off because I ended up stripping the bleeder screws on what is basically a brand new car. If anyone else has better luck, I'd love to hear about it, but I could only get a 9mm wrench to fit the back bleeders (which, even amongst cars with metric fasteners, is still a weird size), and I could not get any wrench to fit squarely on the front bleeders (9mm too small, 10mm too big, 5/16" too small, 3/8" too big).

·
Registered
390 Posts
I don't think they have the '10 listed, but these are real time savers. I use them on my Datsun 660Z ( :play: ) for frequent bleeding since I use a performance fluid that is highly hygroscopic.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
BLKXLT said:
I don't think they have the '10 listed, but these are real time savers. I use them on my Datsun 660Z ( :play: ) for frequent bleeding since I use a performance fluid that is highly hygroscopic.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/
Yeah, I think I'll get those next time. I've always been hesistant to trust that spring and ball to keep air from getting in though...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! This same thing happened to me!

Rant time! :D

I have an '08 XLT v6 4x4, and I just bled (well, 90% of the way) the brakes. I ran in to the same issue you did. I managed to get the rear drums bled with a 3/8" and the front right with the same. However, I rounded the front left and couldn't ever get it open. GD it, Ford! On that cursed front left, I tried an 8mm box (too small,) 9mm hose fitting wrench, (too small) 10mm box (too big) 5/16" box (too small) and 3/8" box (just a hair too big!) And double poo on me, I don't have a pair of vice grips! I guess I'll have to get a pair tomorrow when I get the mystery size 9mm hex head socket so I can change the dang brake pads. Why doesn't any auto part store carry that elusive 9mm? They all have 5 piece kits with 7, 8, and 10mm, and 1/4" and 3/8". Grrrr! Oh well, live and learn.

/rant

PS I wish I could "agree" with or give props to the initial post. :D

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Drewer said:
Thanks for the heads up! This same thing happened to me!

Rant time! :D

I have an '08 XLT v6 4x4, and I just bled (well, 90% of the way) the brakes. I ran in to the same issue you did. I managed to get the rear drums bled with a 3/8" and the front right with the same. However, I rounded the front left and couldn't ever get it open. GD it, Ford! On that cursed front left, I tried an 8mm box (too small,) 9mm hose fitting wrench, (too small) 10mm box (too big) 5/16" box (too small) and 3/8" box (just a hair too big!) And double poo on me, I don't have a pair of vice grips! I guess I'll have to get a pair tomorrow when I get the mystery size 9mm hex head socket so I can change the dang brake pads. Why doesn't any auto part store carry that elusive 9mm? They all have 5 piece kits with 7, 8, and 10mm, and 1/4" and 3/8". Grrrr! Oh well, live and learn.

/rant

PS I wish I could "agree" with or give props to the initial post. :D
Do you have an O'Reilly Auto Parts near you? They sell individual sockets, and I'm fairly certain the one here carries 9mm sockets. You just gotta spring for a full set, man :yes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts