TSB 07-25-12

12/24/07

WRENCH LIGHT ON-DTC B1239

FORD:
2005-2008 Escape Hybrid

MERCURY:
2006-2008 Mariner Hybrid

ISSUE
Some 2005-2008 Escape Hybrid and 2006-2008 Mariner Hybrid vehicles may exhibit a wrench light on with DTC B1239. This may or may not be accompanied by driveability symptoms including reduced power.

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
Replace the Traction Battery Auxiliary Mode Door Actuator.

1. Remove the left hand D-pillar trim panel. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-05.

[/*]
  2. Remove the four (4) battery airflow duct screws, the one (1) pin-type retainer and remove the battery airflow duct assembly.

[/*]
  3. Remove the two (2) auxiliary climate control fresh air inlet duct nuts and remove the duct.
    NOTE
    THE D-PILLAR BRACKET WILL REMAIN IN PLACE.

[/*]
  4. Remove two (2) upper climate control housing bolts and two (2) lower climate control housing nuts.

[/*]
  5. Position the climate control housing to gain access to the auxiliary mode door actuator.

[/*]
  6. Disconnect the auxiliary mode door actuator electrical connector.

[/*]
  7. Remove the auxiliary airflow mode door actuator screws.

[/*]
  8. Remove and replace the auxiliary airflow mode door actuator. Inspect actuator for free movement from any obstructions including the wiring harness.

[/*]
  9. Install the auxiliary airflow mode door actuator screws. Tighten to 18 lb-in (2 N.m).
    NOTE
    THE AUXILIARY CLIMATE CONTROL HOUSING MUST BE INSTALLED BEHIND THE LOWER PORTION OF THE D-PILLAR BRACKET. WHEN INSTALLED CORRECTLY, THE AUXILIARY CLIMATE CONTROL HOUSING BOLT WILL GO THROUGH THE D-PILLAR BRACKET FIRST, THEN THROUGH THE HOUSING MOUNTING LOCATION.

[/*]
  10. Connect auxiliary mode door actuator electrical connector and position back the climate control housing.

[/*]
  11. Install two (2) upper climate control housing bolts. Tighten to 62 lb-in (7 N.m).

[/*]
  12. Install two (2) lower climate control housing nuts. Tighten to 53 lb-in (6 N.m).

[/*]
  13. Install the auxiliary climate control fresh air inlet duct and tighten nuts to 62 lb-in (7 N.m).

[/*]
  14. Install the battery airflow duct assembly, one (1) pin-type retainer and the four (4) screws. Tighten to 18 lb-in (2 N.m).

[/*]
  15. Install the left hand D-pillar trim panel. Refer to WSM, Section 501-05.

[/*]
  16. Reprogram the Traction Battery Control Module (TBCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release B52.5 and higher with Patch 7. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2007.11 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website.[/*]
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

Parts Block
PART NUMBER
PART NAME
8L8Z-19E616-EAuxiliary Mode Door Actuator
OPERATION
DESCRIPTION
TIME
072512A2005-2008 Escape Hybrid, Mariner Hybrid: Replace The Auxiliary Airflow Mode Door Actuator, And Reprogram The Traction Battery Control Module, Includes Time To Check For DTCs
1.1 Hrs.​
DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO.
CONDITION CODE
RECAL
04​

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
(click on thumbnails to enlarge)

Bulletin No.: 07-001/08

Last Issued: 1/14/2008

Subject:
HYBRID - WRENCH LIGHT ON - B1239 SET

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINs
2008 Tribute Hybrid

DESCRIPTION
Some 2008 Tribute Hybrid vehicles may exhibit a wrench light on with DTC B1239 set. This may or may not be accompanied by driveability symptoms.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE
  1. Verify customer concern.

[/*]
  2. Remove the 2 pin-type retainers and the rear door scuff plate trim panel.

[/*]
  3. Position the liftgate weather-strip aside.

[/*]
  4. If equipped, remove the cargo net hold-down.

[/*]
  5. Insert a tape-wrapped screwdriver between the D-pillar trim panel and rear quarter trim panel to release the retainers and remove the rear quarter trim panel.

[/*]
  6. Remove the D-pillar trim panel.

[/*]
  7. Remove the four (4) battery airflow duct screws, the one (1) pin-type retainer and remove the battery airflow duct assembly.

[/*]
  8. Remove the two (2) auxiliary climate control fresh air inlet duct nuts and remove the duct.
    NOTE:
    The "D" pillar bracket will remain in place.

[/*]
  9. Remove two (2) upper climate control housing bolts and two (2) lower climate control housing nuts.

[/*]
  10. Position the climate control housing to allow access to the auxiliary mode door actuator. DO NOT REMOVE.

[/*]
  11. Remove the auxiliary airflow mode door actuator screws and remove and replace the auxiliary airflow mode door actuator.

[/*]
  12. Inspect auxiliary airflow mode door actuator and mode door linkage for free movement from any obstructions including the wiring harness.

[/*]
  13. Install the modified auxiliary airflow mode door actuator. Tighten screws to 18 lb-in (2 N.m).
    NOTE:
    • The auxiliary climate control housing must be installed behind the lower portion of the D-pillar bracket. When installed correctly, the auxiliary climate control housing bolt will go through the d-pillar bracket first, then through the housing mounting location.[/*]
    [/*]
  14. Position the climate control housing to installed position and install screws/nuts.

[/*]
  15. Install the battery airflow duct assembly, one (1) pin-type retainer and the four (4) screws. Tighten to 18 lb-in (2N.m).

[/*]
  16. Install the left rear D-pillar trim panel and rear quarter trim panel.

[/*]
  17. Using IDS 52.4 or later software, reprogram the Traction Battery Control Module (TBCM) to the latest calibration by following the "Module Reprogramming" procedure for the BCM.
    WARNING:
    • During BCM module programming, you will be instructed to remove and install the High Voltage Service Disconnect from the battery pack located in the trunk. To prevent injury or death, review the HIGH-VOLTAGE TRACTION BATTERY SYSTEMS DEPOWERING - HYBRID procedure PRIOR to performing BCM module programming.[/*]
    NOTE:
    • Always update the IDS tool first, then follow on-screen instructions to download the needed calibration file for TBCM reprogramming.[/*]
    • It is not necessary to remove any fuses or relays during BCM reprogramming when the IDS screen prompts you to do so. You may accidentally stop power to one of the BCM terminals and cause the BCM to be blanked, or you may receive error messages during the IDS reprogramming procedure.[/*]
    • IDS shows the calibration part numbers after programming the BCM.[/*]
    • Please be aware that BCM calibration part numbers and file names listed in any Service Bulletin may change due to future releases of IDS software, and additional revisions made to those calibrations for service related concerns.[/*]
    • When reprogramming a BCM, IDS will always display the "latest" calibration P/N available for that vehicle. If any calibration has been revised/updated to contain new information for a new service concern/issue, it will also contain all previously released calibrations.[/*]
    • When performing this procedure, we recommend that a battery charger be installed on the vehicle battery located in the engine compartment and turned ON to a maximum charge of no more than 20 AMPS to keep the vehicle battery up to capacity. If you exceed 20 AMPS, it could damage the VCM.[/*]
    [/*]
  18. After performing the BCM reprogramming procedure, verify the repair by starting the engine and making sure there are no MIL illumination or abnormal warning lights present.
    NOTE:
    • If any DTCs should remain after performing DTC erase, diagnose the DTCs according to the appropriate Troubleshooting section of the Workshop Manual.[/*]
    • After BCM reprogramming, it is no longer necessary to road test the vehicle to relearn" KAM (Keep Alive Memory).[/*]
    [/*]
  19. Verify repair.[/*]
HIGH-VOLTAGE TRACTION BATTERY SYSTEMS DEPOWERING - HYBRID
WARNING:
  • The nominal high-voltage traction battery (HVTB) voltage is 330 volts DC. The buffer zone must be set up and high-voltage insulated safety gloves and a face shield must be worn. Failure to follow these instructions may result in severe personal injury or death.[/*]
  • The high-voltage traction battery and charging system contains high-voltage components and wiring. High-voltage cables and wiring are orange in color. High-voltage insulated safety gloves and a face shield must be worn when carrying out any diagnostics on this vehicle. Failure to follow these instructions may result in severe personal injury or death.[/*]
  • Before carrying out any removal and installation procedures of the high-voltage traction battery system, the high-voltage traction battery must be depowered. Failure to follow these instructions may result in severe personal injury or death.[/*]
  • The high-voltage insulated safety gloves that are to be worn while working on the high-voltage system should be of the appropriate safety and protection rating for use on the high-voltage system. They must be inspected before use and must always be worn in conjunction with the leather outer glove. Any hole in the rubber insulating glove is a potential entry point for high-voltage. Failure to follow these instructions may result in severe personal injury or death.[/*]
  • High-voltage insulated safety gloves and a face shield must be worn when working with high-voltage cables. The ignition switch must be OFF for a minimum of 5 minutes before removing high-voltage cables. Failure to follow these instructions may result in severe personal injury or death.[/*]
The buffer zone is required only when working with the high-voltage system. Failure to follow these instructions may result in severe personal injury or death.

1. Set up buffer zone around the vehicle.
    • Position the vehicle in the repair bay.[/*]
    • Position 4 orange cones around the corners of the vehicle to mark off a 1 m (3 ft) perimeter around the vehicle.[/*]
    • Do not allow any unauthorized personnel into the buffer zone during repairs involving the high-voltage system. Only personnel trained for repair on the high-voltage system are to be permitted in the buffer zone.
      [/*]
    [/*]
  2. Remove the service disconnect plug.
    • Rotate the service disconnect plug from the lock (1) position to the unlock (2) position.[/*]
    • Remove the service disconnect plug and place in the servicing shipping (3) position.
      [/*]
    [/*]
  3. Insert the service disconnect plug into the servicing shipping position. This disconnects the HVTB.
    CAUTION:
    Place the service disconnect plug into the servicing shipping position while the high-voltage traction battery (HVTB) is being removed and/or while the high-voltage system is having repairs carried out. If the service disconnect plug is left out and placed on the bench or tool - box, dirt or other contaminants may enter the HVTB, which can cause damage.

[/*]
  4. To connect, reverse the disconnect procedure.[/*]
CALIBRATION INFORMATION
New TBCM Calibration Part Number: 8M64-10B687-AG

NOTE:
  • The TBCM Calibration Part Numbers listed above are provided for TBCM reprogramming purposes only. These are not necessarily the same Mazda part numbers used to order an actual TBCM through the Mazda Parts System. It is not necessary to order a TBCM as part of this repair procedure.[/*]
PART(S) INFORMATION
Part Number
Description
Qty.
ZZCB-61-B8Z​
Auxiliary Door Mode Actuator​
1​
NOTE:
  • The TBCM Calibration Part Numbers listed above are provided for TBCM reprogramming purposes only. These are not necessarily the same Mazda part numbers used to order an actual TBCM through the Mazda Parts System. It is not necessary to order a TBCM as part of this repair procedure.[/*]
WARRANTY INFORMATION
Warranty Type
A​
Symptom Code
6X​
Damage Code
97​
Part Number Main Cause
ZZCB-61-B8Z​
Quantity
1​
Operation Number / Labor Hours:
YY492XRX / 1.1 Hrs.​
NOTE:
  • This warranty information applies only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty repair. Refer to the Warranty Wizard for warranty term information.[/*]
  • Additional diagnostic time cannot be claimed for this repair.[/*]

·
Registered
322 Posts
I knew I wasn't crazy and say that little light a few times; but it's been a few months since it came one & has been fine ever since.

My question is the warranty part, since it's not a recall, it's just a bulletin letting Ford dealers know their customers aren't completely nuts, here's what to fix. I bought an ext warranty w/ a no use=refund clause, but it seems any work done at any time (ext or normal period) negates this clause. It would seem that this fix is still counted against the warranty?

It also seems I need to 'prove' to the dealer the problem, so it'll still need to go in while the light is on since it doesn't seem to store the codes for the wrench light?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, this fix would probably mean you have used your extended warranty.

You would have to go in for service while the code is still stored, so that they know that this is the bulletin that applies. If you search for "DTC", quite a few bulletins come up.

Do you know if the 2008 Message Center can display trouble codes?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I don't know if the mesage center display's codes or not, It didn't do it automaticly, in fact didn't even say there was a problem, just the wrench light on, no mesasage.

ScanGauge II did not find a code, but guess they are different systems.

·
Registered
322 Posts
stone said:
What does the wrench lamp signify? :)
Sorry, I'm lazy, had to get the book out to see it's a powertrain/something issue (all ready forgot)
I think the wrench is Hybrid spefic, but can't swear to that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My experience with this problem. I have a 2006 FEH. The wrench light started coming on frequently, basically every time I drove. Finally looked online and read about the blend door actuator problem. Decided to try to remove the actuator before buying a new one. Looked at everything I could find, including service manual. Did not drain refrigerant. Was unable to get duct assembly completely off, although I got some parts of it off. Very difficult to put back together, making sure the upper chamber aligned properly. Was able to remove the actuator without removing the whole duct assembly, however. Had to use a very small wrench and a lot of patience. Put it back on and waited for the wrench light, and also set my dash display to dtc (push odomoter button before turning key, then turn to ignition, and even start car with display showing - about 14 pushes of the trip odometer cycles to dtc - should flash nOnE). I was hoping to catch a code when the wrench light went on (should have tried that before). However, the wrench light has not come on after several driving cycles. It's possible that there was a bad electrical connection (I unplugged and replugged it), or that one of the doors was stuck (I made sure that the upper door moved freely when I put the upper duct chamber piece back on).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this very problem - matching code and everything. I was told by the dealer it was not an issue covered by the warranty. What good is having an 8 year warranty on the hybrid parts if a part on your hybrid vehicle goes out & it is a part exclusive to the hybrid? I did not understand how this could be a known problem by Ford and put out a TSB rather than a recall? I left the dealer fairly frustrated and took it to my local hybrid specialty shop (held in much higher regard) and they told me it is a common problem?! I have just hit 35,000 miles on my 2007 Escape Hybrid. Does this truly fall outside of the 8 year hybrid warranty?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
After over a year since I removed and reinstalled the same blend door actuator, the wrench light started coming on again. No other symptoms. This time removal and reinstallation didn't solve the problem, so I bought a new one from the Ford dealership. It wasn't that expensive - $35 including tax. Removal and installation can be done without removing more than just the interior panel covers. It takes a 5.5 mm wrench. I bought a set from Sears for $20. It helps to have one end of the wrench closed, like a very flat 12 point socket. Also a long needle nosed pliers, to manipulate the wrench. It helps to stuff all the area below the actuator with rags or towels, so that if the wrench gets dropped (it will), it won't go way down inside the fender or bumper. Other than that, it just takes some time and patience. I used some masking tape to hold the upper blend door shut while I put the actuator in place. The new actuator has been in place now for two weeks, with no wrench light.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Simple_Man said:
I had this very problem - matching code and everything. I was told by the dealer it was not an issue covered by the warranty. What good is having an 8 year warranty on the hybrid parts if a part on your hybrid vehicle goes out & it is a part exclusive to the hybrid? I did not understand how this could be a known problem by Ford and put out a TSB rather than a recall? I left the dealer fairly frustrated and took it to my local hybrid specialty shop (held in much higher regard) and they told me it is a common problem?! I have just hit 35,000 miles on my 2007 Escape Hybrid. Does this truly fall outside of the 8 year hybrid warranty?

Thanks,

Chris
I know this post is old, but info for anyone having the same problem. I argued this same point with my dealership and asked for the regional manager's contact # to ask why it wasn't considered part of the hybrid system when it's not on a standard Escape. I have an extended warranty ('08 FEH w/50k miles) and the dealer figured the $50 deductible wasn't worth giving me the regional manager's #, so gave it to me free. I think the entire repair was only around $115. I have a 2nd FEH, so I'm still concerned about it not being covered, but I'll cover that one when needed.

·
Premium Member
3,328 Posts
I just had my 08 FEH in for service over the weekend... Although I did not read any DTC's, the wrench light was coming on fairly often, and I strongly suspected that the blend door actuator was bad. Took it into the dealer, and they did confirm that the blend door was bad, and replaced it under my extended warranty (7 year/125,000 mile bumper to bumper)

·
Premium Member
3,328 Posts
The "yellow wrench" is shown on the left side of the instrument panel, and it usually lights up when there is a problem detected in the hybrid powertrain. I don't think this is utilized on non-hybrid models.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts