Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I was planning on pulling the calipers off to inspect my brake pads when I rotate my tires tomorrow. I am finding out there are hex bolts involved, my hex wrench set is even (6mm-8mm-10mm) - there appears to be some confusion over which size I will need for a 2005, some say 7mm, some say 9mm(I searched the forum and read a few threads) - can anyone tell me exactly what tool(s) I should be using to remove these caliper bolts when I DO get around to doing it? Do I need to use a hex socket driver, or is the "L" shaped allen used? (Looks like I will be inspecting the pads WITHOUT removing the calipers tomorrow! ) Thanks! :)

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
You may use either a torx wrench or a torx bit for your socket drive.
The size you need is "T 50" which comes to 8.83mm or .346".

·
Registered
142 Posts
SUVord said:
My 2005 does NOT use torx bits. It is a 9mm allen(hex). Socket or L-shape will work.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
MichaelJD1980 said:
SUVord said:
My 2005 does NOT use torx bits. It is a 9mm allen(hex). Socket or L-shape will work.
Apologies for the missunderstanding.You see, in my parts of the world those hex are called allen, just allen, to avoid any misspronounciation with "sex".

PS.:It is the pre 2005 Escape that uses T50 torx and not 9mm sex!!!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
SUVord said:
MichaelJD1980 said:
SUVord said:
Apologies for the missunderstanding.You see, in my parts of the world those hex are called allen, just allen, to avoid any misspronounciation with "sex".

PS.:It is the pre 2005 Escape that uses T50 torx and not 9mm sex!!!
Actually, Allen is a brand name and the correct term for that type of fastner which is used on drawings is socket head screw of a certain size. It's like thermos bottle, Thermos is a brand name also.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
[/quote]Actually, Allen is a brand name and the correct term for that type of fastner which is used on drawings is socket head screw of a certain size. It's like thermos bottle, Thermos is a brand name also.[/quote]

True and no argument at all.But in Europe and especially Greece where many of the words originated in the western culture's everyday use there is a great confusion.Take hex for instance.Most bolts are hex, meaning hexagonal, meaning six angles.So the confusion goes on and on.That is why many times we use as a generic term something which is a brand name.On this matter I always think of the Japanese language which uses simultaneously three different alphabets.It is worth while for someone to look into it.
Imagine an American pilot taking instructions from the tower at London airport that it is safe to proceed landing on the tarmac.
Anyway, bottom of the line is that allen here is a generic term pointing to a specific tool, same as phillips screw driver etc.The British will keep "hoovering" the carpet with a Siemens, a Hoover or a Miele machine as long as there is electricity in the premices.

·
Registered
34 Posts
For what it's worth. On my 2005 XLS, the front caliper bolts were 7 mm hex, and the bracket bolts were 18 mm. For removing the rotors, mine had retention clips the on the hub bolts. Those will screw off or just cut them off. Give it a shot of PB blaster at the hub, go have a smoke, come back and hit the rotor from behind with a 5 lb. hammer. It'll pop off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts