Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 05 Escape AWD that started "skipping" a few months ago. I was making a hard left turn from a dead stop and the left front wheel kind of popped and skipped like the ABS kicked in or the AWD was messing up. After that, it would occasionally do that out of the blue while I was making turns- usually a right-hand turn. It has also recently started vibrating enough for me to notice it while driving down the highway. I'm guessing either a wheel bearing or axle shaft binding. Anybody have any experience with this problem? Know a solution?

Thanks for the help!
Alex- EMT-IV

·
Registered
420 Posts
i dont know these vehicles all that well yet, but past experience says cv joint

·
Registered
463 Posts
Probably the wheel bearing. Mine failed around 55k miles which is way too early. I believe Ford got a bad batch of bearings and wouldn't confess to it. From all that I have read so far the drivers side goes first. All other fwd vehicles I've seen experience passenger side first, mainly because there are more potholes and water on the right.

·
Registered
758 Posts
My 2005 FEH is going into the dealership on Saturday due to noise and the ABS light flashing during hard braking. I am almost positive it is the cracked ABS tone ring.

·
Registered
758 Posts

My dash ABS light flashed on during some but not all braking attempts. There was a noise during hard braking. So I had it inspected (code c1234) -no my scanguage II did not pick up this Ford code-and
I had a repair job today. Both front tone rings were cracked/broken and the half shafts were replaced under the terms of my Ford extended warranty for $50 plus $3 state tax. I was surprised to find out both my rear rotors needed replacement as my vehicle has less than 50,000 miles. There was 7mm of front brake pad material left (60%) which is fine and will pass the state inspection.

Had both the ICE and MCEP (motor coolant electronic system) drained of "coolant fluid" and refilled. There was no evidence of a failing pump in the MCEP system as frequently found at this mileage in the first generation of FEH. No other issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts